Bosch Platinum2 in a Toyota Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I have installed Bosch Platinum2 spark plugs in my 02 Chevrolet Prizm with the 1.8 1ZZ-FE engine, the car is actually a toyota corolla with Chevy badges all though some people think I am crazy when I tell them this.

Here's the deal, will these plugs harm my engine? Do I have to install NGK iridium? What are your thoughts?

By the way the car runs great. The plugs I took out were probably the orginal plugs. They were Denso iridium. They looked pretty bad so I figure they are the original. The car has 76000 miles on them, and I think the Denso were good plugs I just think they were in too long. I did not use NGK because I didn't think I needed to. Also I did not use anti-seize compound. I never have used dielectric greas either in the past with no problems on other vehicles.

It is not that big of a deal if I have screwed up let me know so I can fix it, well when I get another day off.

I used Bosch Platinum (original) in my 95 Prizm (1.6L) for about 50-60K miles - no problems, just swapped them with cheap NGK G-Power Platinum
anti-seize dielectric grease make maintenance easier, I would take out spark plugs and put them on, but it is not a huge necessity.

Yeah, using anti-seize isn't a must and most times you'll be just fine. It's just that one time when a plug seizes in the head that you'll wish you had used it.

You can gamble one dollar each time you change your plugs, or you can just use it. I prefer to use it...It might cost you a couple of dollars over the lifetime of your car or it might save you a couple hundred.

Denso is the OEM supplier for Toyota. I know the similarities, but are you sure Iridiums were the OEM for your 2002 Prizm?

I am not entirely sure Denso iridium plugs were OEM, but seeing how black the tranny fluid was at 73000 miles when I bought the car... it leads me to believe previous owners were not maintenance hounds and the brake rotors are gonna have to replaced next week because it looks like the orginal pads are on the car, there is very little brake pad left so I am just gonna do rotors and all. I seriously doubt previous owners ever opened the hood. I have flushed tranny and replaced tranny fluid with Dexron III from Mobil.
I really like this little car. It know some will not believe me but I am averaging 30 mpg in town with very little highway use. I do use Amsoil 5w30 the 75000 mile stuff, and one treatment of Chevron techron fuel treatment.
When I got the car I installed Valvoline 5w30 for 3000 miles everything seems fine with the motor and I am gonna have an analysis done on the Valvoline when I get time. Right now I have the Amsoil in it and I am gonna run it for 5000 or 6000. Do you think I could wait until then to apply antiseize?

Camu, yes, you can wait until then...it's nothing that will be that pressing. A seizing plug tends to take a little time and it's more of an occurrence with aluminum heads. Like I said, you could get away without using it at all...most of the time nothing will happen. It's just the one time that it does...

No, I normaly use the plain jane Bosch platnium lugs but my Dad has used the Bosch +4 in a bunch of Toyota's with no problem. I will say this I think that the +2 and +4 are not cost effective in most Toyota's since they seem to like the plain jane Bosch Platniums just fine. Now that I live in the usa I normaly go with Denso or NGK in platnium or iridium.

If it runs great with the Bosch plugs, go with it and don't worry.

From what I gather, any plug of the proper heat range and gapped correctly will work well in any car. A new, properly gapped plug will perform better than an old worn plug. That is where we hear all the stories about "my car runs smoother and get a gajillion more mpg than with old brand name X plugs".

Some will past longer in certain applications is the only difference.

My experience with Bosch platinums vs Denso Iridiums...

I replaced the original plugs around 25,000mi on my 2002 Vovlo S40 (turbo). The OEM plugs looked OK and were still pretty close to the original gap spec. Replaced them with Dendo Iridiums. No difference noted upon installation. 25,000mi later the Densos started missing on wide open throtle. I checked and found they had worn by nearly 0.015". Regapping solved that problem but I picked up a new set of OEM Bosch plugs to put in. For me the Bosch platinum OEM plugs last longer at under half the price for Iridiums.

Use whatever plug gives you the longest lifespan vs cost. Your engine management system determines the correct timing so a small peice of this metal or that is not going to impact your performance or mileage in any way you will see.

The car does run better with the platinums but of course they are brand new so go figure...I have used NGK in the past with ok results... I have heard horror stories about using Bosch platinum2 and +4 plugs in toyota stories that is why I started this quest for the truth... so far nobody has told me I must uninstall the Bosch and repent... so far so good...

Toyotas either use a Double Platinum plug (platinum-tipped center electrode with a platinum pad on the ground electrode) or a special long life Iridium plug (also containing the platinum pad on the ground electrode). Your 1ZZ-FE engine's factory plug was of one of those types.

This is just an observation, but it appears that the most satisfied users of Platinum+2 and Platinum+4 plugs are from the import drivers. Not sure why. My neighbor dropped a set of Bosch Platinum+4 plugs into his 01 Prizm a few years ago around 150k ?? and I will go ask him if he has had any issues with them. He's at 220k+ now.

Hmm. My conjecture is that the Platinum+2 and Platinum+4 plugs do not work well with DIS. Most of the GM V6/V8 engines and some of the Ford V6/V8 engines are DIS. On the other hand, there are few DIS-equipped with Hondas and Toyotas so perhaps that's why I hear fewer complaints regarding +2s and +4s in the imports ???

Quote:

I am not entirely sure Denso iridium plugs were OEM

They likely are, the Prizm was a rebadged version of the Toyota Sprinter (sold in Japan). Prizms were built at a joint venture plant between Toyota and General Motors in Fremont, California.

I have a GM service bulletin pertains to 1997-2004 trucks and cars with 4.8L,5.3L,5.7L or 6.0L engines in which the platinum plug is obsolete in favor of an Iridium plugs. No reason given but it does mention a different gap for the Iridium and that no attempt to change it should be made or if any plug does not have the correct gap, it must be discarded.

Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point. They would be the best you can have in the engine.

Bosch,NGK,Denso all work well in most Toyota applications reguardless of the origanal type of plug that came with the car or truck. The quality control though at Bosch is not on par with Denso/NGK and that is why I favor the other two when ever I can easily get them. Iridims are cheaper at the dealership then at Autozone by the way.

A lot of GM applications do not like Bosch Platnium plugs at all!!! Now Bosch Super Coppers work well in everything.

Well I the bosch in question were $16 for 4 at NAPA. Here's the deal... today I noticed on the side of the motor it says only to use iridium plugs, now I dunno if I can sleep tonite, I know Pablo can get me iridum NGK's I may have to go that route along with anti-seize just so I can sleep... but if Bosch says this plug is correct for this car than can I really be wrong??????

The 99 Prizm I have has a sticker...

IMG_1790.jpg

So I put in NGK twin ground electrode plugs, not iridium. That is OEM for me so I stuck with them. It does matter some to the longevity of the rest of the ignition system.

Do you have a similar sticker? If you so you seem like you'll be uneasy going with anything else.

If the sticker says iridiums, they will be in there for a long time so do use anti-sieze.

we had a '99 PRIZM , I believe that wasn't a V.V.T.I. engine , not until 2000 , if I'm correct . This is very good information site for COROLLA , PRIZM , MATRIX , VIBE owners , and so on . It is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla , enjoy . If you scroll down to USA '98 - 2002 you'll see that '98 and '99 were not V.V.T.I. , that could explain the difference in the spark plugs . Good to be correct every so often .
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back