Bicycle Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I show you mine, you show me yours.
tongue.gif

Specialized Compound Pro ATB road tire for AT MT bikes that are used on asphalt or hardpack. Size is 26x2.2 (x2.16 actually). Flakjacket puncture resistance technology has been integrated.

specialized_atb_s0106.jpg

specialized_atb_2s0107.jpg

These babies can be inflated to 100 psi and are extremely fast tires. The tire shown has over 3k miles on it and you can still the casting flash lines near the center.

This tires are of course horrible on sand and mud, but I've used no better tires on hard surfaces. Cost is ca $42 per tire.

review

Ack! That was supposed to say "These tires" at the beginning of the last sentence in the previous post.

Here is my bike, in these pictures I still have the original tires that came with the bike. They are Kenda 26x1.95 tires, inflated to 41psi (tire says inflate to 40-65psi). No shocks on this bike so need the tire pressure a little lower. Haven't tried using higher pressure but would benefit if riding on street only, this bike is relatively heavy (steel frame). Inner tubes filled with Slime. Overall tires good for almost any terrain.

On my handlebar you can see, bicycle bell, 4AA krypton headlight. Bicycle bell is useful to let others know you are passing or approaching.

dbofl1marin.jpg

dbobr1marin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike came with the exact same Kenda tires! I mostly ride on asphalt and solid dirt and I wanted road tires. Knobby off-road tires get a bit scary when leaning at high curve speed.

PS: The bell works best on dogs, cats, possums and on other critters with hearing superior to humans. Without the bell I'd be running over wildlife almost every day.
tongue.gif

It's been long time since I had a racing bike, so I know next to nothing about current racing tires. Are those Vredestein tubular tires, I guess?

Quote:

It's been long time since I had a racing bike, so I know next to nothing about current racing tires. Are those Vredestein tubular tires, I guess?

Surprisingly, they are clinchers. Vredestein makes some of the highest psi clincher tires available on the market today. Max is 160 psi but my rim max is 140. They even go as far to recommend 145 psi. Most of your average clinchers are 100-125 psi recreational pressure. The SE is a Performance "exclusive" and usually on sale for around $25 ea which is a pretty decent deal on a pretty good tire. Tubulars are MUCH more expensive but can run really high pressures.

I didn't know they still made clinchers for racing bikes! I wonder how it sounds when a tire that's inflated to upwards of 100 psi pops.
grin.gif

Um, they don't "pop". They ____ explode!
smile.gif

Sound is very similiar to a gunshot, especially those which heat up and explode when left in the hot sun too long.

Quote:

Um, they don't "pop". They ____ explode!
smile.gif

Sound is very similiar to a gunshot, especially those which heat up and explode when left in the hot sun too long.

I had one tire blow up (picked up a tiny shard of glass) a while ago and it was only inflated to 85 psi -- and I ducked, too. It sounded like a small caliber pistol had gone off near my behind.
grin.gif

They were considerably lighter than the similar Schwalbe Marathon (which is more puncture resistant). I'd say medium weight? My bike's a heavy, fat pig, though.

The Specialized site doesn't list this tire now (didn't list it last year either), so I don't have the exact specs. My local bike shop could get them easily last year.

I blew up my tire once using the gas station air pump. That was back then when I knew nothing fixing stuff. Popped so loud that made my ears ring for a while. So I aired my bike tires using a bicycle pump from then on and check them using a tire gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back