shifter replacement options

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bike has the Shimano Grip Shift Max 21 speed. It appears that something is broken on the right shifter. It does not click or hold the selected gear anymore, so it stays in the highest gear 7. Looks like some part broke off in the inside, so I'll need to replace that whole shifter. The question is if I get another kind of shifter with the same amount of gears (7 speed) like the index shift or any other type, will it work? I don't know if all 7 speeds gearing for the rear are same for all bikes. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look around for a replacement set of shifters. I picked up a set of SRAM 7 speed shifters for $25 and they worked fine (replaced Gripshift). A local bike shop may have some cheap options as weel.

Before you give up, try flushing the mechanism with a solvent like WD-40 or similar.
SOMETIMES, the lube can get stiff and prevent the pawl from engaging.
Caveat- this is true on "trigger" shifters. I'm not sure about twist. (no experience with those) Probably worth a try though.

The twist shifters can be disassembled, cleaned, and re-lubed with common Vasoline. Some of the older grip shift have to be taken apart to change cables so searching for a pdf online is also a start. I may have my copy which I can scan and e-mail if you like or I can try to post the picture here.

Thanks for the replies. Some plastic component inside the grip shifter broke off. Saw a piece of it come out as I took it apart.

I just bought a new shifter SRAM from a local bike shop for $15. Works just like new, it comes with a new cable too. The SRAM is easier to shift compared to the old one. Although they had the 8 speed but works with 7, was not a set just the rear. Wasn't too hard to install.

Thats a great website, never though about the alternate cable routing. Actually it shifts just fine, the number indicated on the shifter is on the correct gear. When you put it on 8, it just does nothing and stays on gear 7. I guess gear 8 is the imaginary overdrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back