2007 Mercedes C230, 5800 miles, factory fill 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
oil1.jpg
Full Size Image

This is the factory fill on a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport Sedan. Fuel has been about 50/50 Premium Unleaded and E85.

So looking at a virgin analysis, a few things jumped out at me. 1st is the viscosity is low, as in a 30W. I not sure why that is, maybe the Ethanol? Also iron is pretty high, so I am glad I changed it. Copper is also unusual to me. Is that from the oil cooler? TBN is still pretty darn high. Guess this oil may make the 13K that Mercedes recommends for OCI's. Any other thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The add pack PPMs don't come close to matching what this oil normally has. I'd complain to the lab about it and see if they will re-run it for free. I guess it's possible MB doped the oil with some additive as well.

Quote:

The add pack PPMs don't come close to matching what this oil normally has. I'd complain to the lab about it and see if they will re-run it for free. I guess it's possible MB doped the oil with some additive as well.

You know, I suspected something weird with the numbers too. I was told by my dealer the factory fill was Mobil 1 0W-40. The only info I can find on the web, states All MB AMG vehicles are factory filled with Mobil 1 0W-40. Let me see if I can find out for sure that that is what the factory fill was.

> 1st is the viscosity is low, as in a 30W. I not sure why that is, maybe the Ethanol?

M1 0w40 VOA viscosity is at the low end of the 40 weight scale. It also shears and will be in the 30 weight with very few miles on it. This is the normal characteristic of M1 0w40.

IF (a big if) the lab measured the oil correctly, it looks like MB added an additive consisting of magnesium detergent and ZDDP (zinc/phosphorous elements). The other add pack additives are lower than they should be which would be consistent with being diluted from an additive that did not contain those elements.

Quote:

IF (a big if) the lab measured the oil correctly, it looks like MB added an additive consisting of magnesium detergent and ZDDP (zinc/phosphorous elements). The other add pack additives are lower than they should be which would be consistent with being diluted from an additive that did not contain those elements.

Are Oil Analyzers known to not be a reliable testing facility?

I don't know, but inaccuracies every now and then are possible from any lab. It is human to error and it is even machine to error.

Not as inconsistant as Blackstone. I'm not so sure about questioning the accuracy of the lab, but it's worth a re-check, as all humans make errors. Additive levels such as Ca and Mg can easily swing 100 ppm in most all labs. Metals like Mo and of course the wear metals should be in the +/- a few ppm on the low numbers.....and 1-2% on the larger numbers.

However - sure maybe the bulk factory fill here is exactly the same as quart M1 0W-40, but maybe it isn't.

Only the AMG engines are factory filled with Mobil 1 0w40. Everything else gets Mercedes factory fill 229.5 5w30 which is made by Shell.

Mystery solved! Call the storm troopers back to camp...it was a false alarm. An alarm caused by someone at a dealership. Imagine that!

Quote:

Only the AMG engines are factory filled with Mobil 1 0w40. Everything else gets Mercedes factory fill 229.5 5w30 which is made by Shell.

That makes sense now
smile.gif
Thanks for the info.

Can a moderator change the title to reflect this information?

Ok, now that the type of oil mystery has been solved, anyone have any comments on the high iron, copper, and silicon?

My Maybach 57 came with a 30 wt. oil OEM. I now have the 57s. The engine is 6.0 instead of 5.5. liters. I wonder what they used. I will send the original oil for a UOA when I change it to 5W-20 Red Line.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back