Which oil - Bayliner 2.3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to boating and have just purchased a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3 litre ford four cylinder motor. The manual says to use straight 30 weight oil and that multi-viscosity oils like 10W30 and 10W40 are not recommended. What do you think?? Thanks for your help.

Summer time he could run a 30 weight with no problems. However since its an '89, I think that multweight oils have come a long way since then(and were okay then)that a regular 10w40 or 10w30 would work fine.

Not sure of the number of hours. The engine was rebuilt three years ago. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. Both Lake St Clair and Lake Erie are 25 minutes away.

don't even bother with a 1989 manual with oil recommendations, it's completely obsolete!

Mobil delvac1300 15w-40, it's less expensive than the other 15w-40 oils and in my opinion better. You'd be much better off using any name brand 15w-40: mobil, chevron delo, rotella. Or if you want to spend a little extra go with a 5w-40 such as rotella or mobil. A 5w-40 would be better than the 15w-40 if weather is cold, say 40F or lower.

I would use Pennzoil Marine 30w that you can get at Walmart or West Marine. It will take the pounding. If you can't find that use Delo400 or Mobil Delvac or Rotella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back