Diff oil options, make it quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a 99 Subaru Forester with an Auto Trans ~200,000km /125,000miles. It has a nasty whine coming from the front diff, kinda like a manual gear box makes in reverse, when under power going forward. It's supposed to take GL-5 80W90. Any thoughts on what I should try to make it quiet down? Perhaps 75W140 would help, or would that ruin it? I live in Central Ontario, I don't mind changing it out for the winter.

Since your differential specs a 75W90, you could try a 75W110 synthetic (which under the old standards would be considered a "heavy" 75W90)and see what happens. I think a 75W140 would go against the manufacturers recomendations, decrease fuel mileage and not work as well in those Central Ontario winters.

Sounds like it is getting ready to need a rebuild. The three options that come to mind are: (1) thicker fluid (but a problem starting out in the winter); (2) rebuild; (3) pack differential with raw hamburger and sell the car to a used car lot.

I've read somewhere that the Schaeffers gear oils can quiet down a noisy diff due to the moly and climbing ability of their oil. You could contact the original Bob of Bobistheoilguy fame and ask him about this. He would certainly know or the other Schaeffer rep here, Mark. Send them each a PM?

Thanks for the replies.

I might try some thick lucas gear oil for the summer and see what happens. I'm just trying to delay the rebuild as long as possible.

I've heard of banana's and sawdust before but never hamburger.

My 2007 Legacy has a tendency to whine from the front Transaxle at cruising speeds. AmSoil 75-90 Severe Gear knocked it down to almost undetectable. OEM and Specialty Formulations HDS-5 both allowed the whine.

Can this be used in a manual tranny that requires only a GL4,or is AMS MTG better for my application?

Sorry Pablo,I forgot to mention the post I was responding to. I was wondering which would be better for my manual tranny that requires a GL4 gear oil only........AMS SVG (I saw on the Ams site it mentions GL4),or AMS MTG.

Thanks!

Naturally my local parts places Cdn Tire etc that have Lucas and Amsoil don't stock the 75W110 Amsoil or the lucas gear oil. One place also carrys Motul oil but not gear oil. Anybody know an easy way to get it in Canada without shipping it by courier. The shipping is going to be more than the item.

Thanks

Quote:

Anybody know an easy way to get it in Canada without shipping it by courier. The shipping is going to be more than the item.Thanks

The shipping to Ontario is $7 for two quarts of Amsoil 75W110 which retail at around $12 a quart. You'd have it in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back