Hendrick penalties too stiff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
____, I could see if the penalty was relevant to the race, but fenders make no difference ona road course. Altering a wing on a super speedway, or maybe the gear, fuel line or shock package at a raod course, I could see such a penalty, but this was a joke. I don't even think there was a penalty to tell the truth, NASCAR just couldn't have Hendrick win another COT race so they fixed it. Thoughts?

Quote:

...but fenders make no difference on a road course...

That contradicts what I saw mentioned on TV several times during the race weekend. The gist of the discussions was that fiddling with the fender can have an effect on how well the car turns - even on a COT road course car.

There was a gray area in the rules, Hendrick saw the gray areas were within them, NASCAR didnt say you could not do what they did...so i think its nascars' fault for not making the rules as tight as they maybe should be...too harsh for something that was still within the guidelines...was it "wrong" who knows but that does not matter only thing that matters is were you between the numbers and templates that nascar puts out to see if your car is in spec...Hendrick helped design the car and has millions to spend on someone looking through the rule book to find little gray area thats what the sport was built off of...people doing something..others following or nascar changing rules...should not of been penalized as much as they were

Racers *always* lean on the rule book. All of them. Sometimes they get away with it, sometimes they don't. Anyone who tells you differently is either slow or lying.

Nascar's whole objective is to try to get every car to cross the finish line at the same time. They massage the rules weekly if needed in their attempt to do this.

So it's not surprising that they came down on the team that's dominated the COT races this year.

Anyone think if it had been anyone else, one of the back markers, that the penalties would have been as severe? I don't, not for a minute.

But Hendrick can afford it so to speak, both the money and the points. So why not use them as an example and at the same time work a little parity into the championship? And what better place to do it than a road course with a new car where practice and starting position are both so important?

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Same as it ever was if you ask me...

If they wanted a real penalty they should either remove them from the race, remove them from TOP35 Exemption for the season, or fine them one over the wall guy for 6 races.

As far as adjust the car out of specs so you are not legal at the end of a race then just disqualify the car and be done with it. 1st to did not race anyone????

"Nascar's whole objective is to try to get every car to cross the finish line at the same time. They massage the rules weekly if needed in their attempt to do this."

jsharp - you hit the nail on the head with that one...!!!

Remember when NAPCAR let GM do whatever they wanted to their heads (pre Yates era) and yet held Ford to the rules. When it came out Bill France Junior got collared at a press conference and when asked why said "more people in America drive Chevrolets" What a joke. Still after GM and Ford teams were asked to come up with their best effort (Yates and GM 18-degree) Ford smacked their butts for a long time. What goes around comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back