Valvoline or BG fuel system cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2000 Tundra V-8 is stating to show signs of needing a professional fuel system cleaning...injector noise when accelerating, sluggish performance, and poor fuel economy. It has 130K miles. For the most part, I have used only Techron fuel system cleaner, but found it to be minimal in effectiveness and a possible cause for high Pb readings on UOA's. So now I am considering the Valvoline 3 step FI process for $65, or the BG 3 step process for around $120(?). Does anyone have any experience with these products or know how good they are? Safe? Thanks.

OK, I just had the Valvoline "Fuel Rail" treatment done. All I can say is "WOW! What a difference!". It is a single can product that is applied directly into the fuel line with a kit. The fuel pump circuit breaker is pulled, the kit hangs from the hood, and a air pressure line is attached to the kit. There are two pressure gauges attached to the kit as well. The whole procedure takes about 30-40 minutes. This is the best fuel system cleaning I've ever had on any of my vehicles. Total cost was $65.13.

Before trying the fuel system cleaning, did you clean the throttle body? Just curious, since the cleaners won't touch this part of the fuel system.

No, I did not have the throttle body cleaned separately. I questioned the mechanic about it (why wasn't he using the 3 step process?) and he said that this fuel rail stuff was all I needed. I didn't have the classic sticky throttle pedal, so I wasn't too concerned about the throttle body as I was with the injectors and intake valves. So far, so good!

The current BG System uses a throttle body cleaning dispersant spray first. Then you use the injector cleaner and a intake misting cleaner that cleans the whole intake. Works very well. They also give you a can of 44k for your fuel system to clean the rest as you drive.

I did say, Very WELL!!!

The throttle body spray will clean the throttle plate to basically spotless without the use of a brush in almost all cases with running cars.

I like the system a lot.

Quote:

Before trying the fuel system cleaning, did you clean the throttle body? Just curious, since the cleaners won't touch this part of the fuel system.

I just checked back today and looked at a can of the Valvoline product they used. It's called "Fuel Rail and Throttle Body Cleaner". Go figure!

Quote:

The current BG System uses a throttle body cleaning dispersant spray first. Then you use the injector cleaner and a intake misting cleaner that cleans the whole intake. Works very well. They also give you a can of 44k for your fuel system to clean the rest as you drive.

I did say, Very WELL!!!

The throttle body spray will clean the throttle plate to basically spotless without the use of a brush in almost all cases with running cars.

I like the system a lot.

How much does it cost?

I've never seen it. If you could find it, you would still have to buy the installation kit though. I think the $65 that I spent was probably reasonable in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back