Question concerning Syntec 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a good possibility that it is formulated with primarily group 4 base oils? It does meet all the specs that the soon to be no more 0w30 does or am I wrong. It would seem this oil would be a logical choice for those lamenting the loss of 0W30. GC was very close to being a 40W was it not? I saw a new bottle of the 5W40 and it said on the back that it was made in the US from imported components. Maybe it's PAO??? Anyone informed on this subject?

Last bottle I saw only met the LL-98 spec. It's been discussed before that it is probably primarily a GrpIII base oil, that is, unless it has recently been reformulated. What BMW spec did you see on your bottle?

The euro Castrol 5w-40 that was discussed here was the one that said "Made in Belgium" on the back. If he's talking about something that is made in the US, then it's possibly a different oil altogether, just like USA Syntec 0w-30 and GC 0w-30.

I posted a VOA of the US made Syntec 5w-40 a while back.
I am considering using it if the GC becomes unavailable.
It hasn't here in Houston, yet.
Castrol Syntec 5w-40
Date Code: M060536A44H1 15:37

API SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3,B3,B4
BMW Longlife-98
GM-LL-B-025
MB 229.1 / 229.3
VW 502 00, 505 00
Porche Approved
ISLAC GF-3

Superior European formula now blended in the USA
Blended in USA from domestic and imported components.

VOA Castrol Syntec 5w-40

Quote:

The euro Castrol 5w-40 that was discussed here was the one that said "Made in Belgium" on the back. If he's talking about something that is made in the US, then it's possibly a different oil altogether, just like USA Syntec 0w-30 and GC 0w-30.

It met all the specs that GC does with the exception of BMW LL-01. It was also Porche approved which I didn't see on the GC bottle I was looking at. Can we definitely say it's not PAO becouse it does not meet BMW-LL-01?? Does the lack of that one spec prove it's just another group 3 oil? Some of you gurus chime in. I would like to be better informed as to whether the 5W40 is a sleeper or a rediculously over-priced group 3 oil. Thanks for the responses.

It doesn't meet the vw 503.01 spec for highpower turbo Audi motors like GC did, so I suspect it's a group 3. If you look at very many European 5w-40 oils, they're labeled as "hydrocracked", Castrol included. So I really don't see why Castrol would use a group 4 in the US when they can get away calling a group 3 a full synthetic.

MolaKule said this oil's add pack looks like it's from the Blue Lagoon, or some place like that. I used it once but never did again. IMO, it can't compete with some other oils of similar price.

I can't speak for other engines, but in the Audi RS4 Syntec 5W-40 shears like crazy and has some pretty high wear numbers in UOA. It's one of the reasons that we developed our own custom oil blend through Terry at DysonAnalysis and Bill over at Renewable Lubricants.

Quote:

I can't speak for other engines, but in the Audi RS4 Syntec 5W-40 shears like crazy and has some pretty high wear numbers in UOA. It's one of the reasons that we developed our own custom oil blend through Terry at DysonAnalysis and Bill over at Renewable Lubricants.

Yeah, but to be fair- everything shears in that engine. M1 0W-40, Motul 8100, whatever, after 5 or 6k, everything succumbed to fuel dilution issues. What succumbed to shear in your V8 is not solely indicative of performance in any other engine.
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back