any good USA made tire gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the tire gauges I've seen in stores are made in China. I thought the Accu-Gage S60X dial gauge was US made but doesn't say so on the packaging. The Brookstone gauge is also made in China. I do prefer a dial and/or pencil gauge as it doesn't need batteries. Its good to have at least two tire pressure gauges so you can compare readings. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Napa has good made-in-USA ones. I have a couple of Miltons (USA) too that are good. I got those from Princess Auto here, so I don't know where you'd find them.

My made-in-Taiwan JL was off by 15 psi. No more cheap gauges for me!

Thanks for the info.

The NAPA one is made by Schrader-Bridgeport according to the packaging, just got the pencil one (90-378). Easy to use and consistent readings. Doesn't feel cheap and lightweight.

I haven't seen the Milton or Longacre gauges in stores before so probably have to get those online or ebay.

That Intercomp tire gauge is nice but expensive. MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) reviewed a bunch of tire gauges. They used that as their calibration gauge. It has automatic compensation for temp and humidity according to the review.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical.asp
(pdf files, 4 pages, November 2005)

Here are some pics of the Milton s921 gauge I bought on ebay. Has dual scales, P.S.I. and kPa.

899f564f.jpg

3ea4c3dc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Accu-Gage, it's a decent gauge, but after a few years the needle started to bend from its own pressure against the bottom stopper.

Since I bought my new car with the built-in tire pressure monitor system, checking my air pressure only involves two button presses anyway, so the gauge spends most of its time in the glove box.

I have a old Milton Dial gauge that I love. Not sure where to buy a new one. Haven't seen any? But certainly worth it over those cheap China ____!

I usually make my own. You need a air chuck, I just buy the ones for air compressors with the 1/4npt female threads. Then I get an Ashcroft gauge which are made for industrial use. You hook the two peices together with some 1/4" fittings to your desired configuration and walla.

I have one I made with an ashcroft and one I made with a Wika. They are very consistent in their reading, however the difference between the two is about 3psi at pressures above 20 psi.

These aren't going to be cheap to make either. Look to spend anywhere from $20 to $80 depending on quality of gauge you buy.

Quote:

My Brookstone dial gauge is at least 13 years old; I don't think it was made in China at that time. I believe it is very accurate.

I have the same gauge. It is indeed made in the U.S.ofA.; it is a rebranded G.H. Meiser model H60X gauge. Most G. H. Meiser gauges are sold under the Accu-Gage (not to be confused with "Accu-Tire"/*) brand. G.H. Meiser, proud products of American engineering.

/*(Accu-Tire is a marketing company; the same Chinese-made gauges sold under the Accu-Tire brand are sold under other brand names such as Monkey Grip.)

If you can find a repair shop that checks tire pressure ask if they have a Snap-On setup that you can compare your gauge with ,both for accuracy and repeatability.

I know that not many shops check tire pressure or even have a gauge but you can ask. There is one in San Marcos, CA and there is probably at least one more in North County.

Thats a good idea to check the calibration of your tire gauge. I heard some tire shops have a master calibration gauge too. Making your own tire gauge like MC5W20 suggested sounds like a interesting idea.

By they way OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) carries the Milton S921 pencil tire gauge $4.99. I asked Milton and they told me Carquest, Bumper to Bumper, Pronto, Auto Value and OSH carries some Milton products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back