Anyone ever try 75W140 or 85W140 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a 75W140 or 85W140 GL4 gear oil in a manual tranny. Would a thicker gear oil protect better in the 100F+ summers on long extended highway runs?

Also,what would the pros/cons be of using a heavier gear oil like that?

bigger arm muscles in the winter?
smile.gif

Would it have any negative effect on shifting (grinding/interruption of synchro engagement)?

The only time I have used such heavy gear oil is in the rear diff of a Jeep Cherokee used for towing. I agree with the two previous posts - really heavy oil is likely to play havoc with the synchro and gear changing.

Mike

I live in a fairly hot climate - Texas.

85W-140 has worked out well in differentials that called for it.

85W-140 in a manual transmission is too thick be it winter/summer, Texas or the North Pole. Ran it once during the summer and the shifting was burdened by the thicker oil. I didn't keep it in the box long at all. Drained and replaced after a couple of days.

Just my 2 cents.

I can now recommend the Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil (MCV) for a manual gearbox under certain conditions. I have used this oil for several months in a badly worn, high mileage Mitsubishi 5 speed in an old Ford Ranger that I do not want to tear into for a rebuild. The heavier oil has quieted the noisy bearings/gears and has not interfered with shifting. My reason for using this oil, even though not recommended and sort of expensive, was that it is a GL-4 rated gear oil, yet uses no friction modifiers to cause problems with the synchros. And it is a very shear-stable oil that will hold it's viscosity well. I don't expect to have any cold weather shifting woes, especially since it rarely goes below freezing here in the winter. We'll see when the time comes. So far, so good. Might be overkill, but it's working as I had hoped in this situation. The factory recommended fluid is basically a 10W-40 motor oil, so this is just one grade up the chart for a unit with nearly 300k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back