Costco tire services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco says they have developed/bought from Ingerson Rand a air impact wrench that only puts out 50 ft lbs of torque. they say they use this to install tires then follow up with a torque wrench.
Anyone know if this is true?
Sounds like a good solution to impact wrenches warping rotors.

Is this what you're talking about. If they use this they may need another impact wrench to get the wheels off.

INGERSOLL RAND IR111 - Reactionles Ratchet
INGERSOLL-RAND 3/8" SUPER DUTY REACTIONLESS AIR RATCHET WRENCH, MAX TORQUE 50 FT LBS, FREE SPEED 300 RPM, AVG. AIR CONSUMPTION 4 CFM. STOPS KICK-BACK, THE KNUCKLE SAVER!!

So far I liked the installation and Costco specific BFG's on my Malibu Maxx. Because of the reputation of the rotors, I had only 1 rotation (Wally World) on the OEM Bridgestones. Even with one service I noticed a bit of shake on braking. This seems to be lessened since I got the new tires at Costco.

those torque wrenches need calibration and often never get any.
last time i was at walmart i saw a guy zoom on 4 lugnuts on a honda civic with a impact wrench. he then proceeded to use a torque wrench on all 4 lugnuts. the only problem was that he zoomed the lugnuts on so tight that the torque wrench never moves the nuts, it just popped off each time.
and so he moved onto the next wheel.
so what was the point in using a torque wrench in the first place? to pasify customers.

Quote:

those torque wrenches need calibration and often never get any.
last time i was at walmart i saw a guy zoom on 4 lugnuts on a honda civic with a impact wrench. he then proceeded to use a torque wrench on all 4 lugnuts. the only problem was that he zoomed the lugnuts on so tight that the torque wrench never moves the nuts, it just popped off each time.
and so he moved onto the next wheel.
so what was the point in using a torque wrench in the first place? to pasify customers.

Like anything else ,the person working the tools / the computer / flying the plane etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back