Michelin Exalto on a Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, referred to as "going to the Dark Side", let me tell you, this is a wonderful alternative to the high-priced, low-mileage, standard Motorcycle tire. Put a 215/60/16 on a Vulcan 2000 (standard is 205/60/16), and the ride quality is light-years better on this car tire. Traction is significantly better, too, as the M/C tire would spin under hard acceleration (it's an 800+ lb. bike), now, the front end will come off the ground instead. BIG difference. Cornering is very good, haven't ground down any body parts with it, yet, as I'm trying to take it easy until I make sure there are no surprises, and it is glass-smooth at 100 mph. I think this would make a very good car tire...even for a car! 128.00 not on sale. Anyone have these on a car?

I now wish I could do something better with the rock of a tire on the front...it's that much difference in ride quality. I'll need to find a better riding front M/C tire...no way would a car tire make sense in front. But, for the rear...I'll never over-pay for a M/C rear tire again.
tombstone.gif

Dark Side:
approved.gif

Boxer, as in BMW?

They DO make your size: look at the Yokohama Advan Neova AD07. It's a high-performance unidirectional summer tire that comes in 175/55/16, and costs 190.00 at Tirerack.com. That's not cheaper than a M/C tire, but, if you have the same experience that I (and a lot of other people) have, you'll never go back to M/C tires.

Besides better ride quality, the car tire has better handling and better clearance around corners than a M/C tire. When nailing the throttle when exiting a corner, a M/C tire on my bike would break loose and spin/slide. I can feel the sidwall flex a little on the car tire, but, NO SLIDING! I'll take the better traction, combined with better cornering clearance every time.

If you do go to a car tire, watch the speed rating...at least stay at a V-rating (up to 149 mph), and preferably go to a ZR-rating. The rationale is that the higher the speed rating the stiffer the sidewalls. If you have a sudden loss of pressure, you'll want stiffer sidewalls...they give you a better chance of controlling the bike until you can stop.

I can sort of almost understand doing this on a mega cruiser that doesn't spend much time leaned over. But on a Boxer Cup sport bike? I just don't believe that your handling won't be destroyed.

I could be wrong. If you try it, I'd be darned interested to see how it performs.

probably, but at 130 a tyre, they only last me about 5000 miles before they are bald. and 130 is the cheap tyres. the decent ones most people buy are 200+ and some of those dont even last the 5000 miles that the cheap 130 touring tyres do.
how could you guys like to buy new tyres for youre car every 5000 miles? its rediculous.

it probably would kill the handling, but its not like i ever take it to the track. and i cant remember the last time i really leaned it over on the street. its just not safe doing that on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back