AutoRX & ATX transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just would like to know if any harm done if whole bottle 12oz of AutoRX is used in the ATX. Current treatment is for a Mazda 626 ATX known for problematic transmission. I added 6oz last week, and it seemed to have smoothed out a "jerking" reverse issue. Especially bad when parked on a slope, previously when trying to back up in reverse, the car would move forward & I would have to give it gas and then the ATX would "clunk" backwards. That scared the heck out of me, thinking that I've busted it. It now seems much smoother & when I put the gear in R, it actually go in reverse, without the "clunk".

Strange but I still have the 1-2 "jerk" when driving cold, the rest of the gears seems fine. That "jerk" seems to go away when car is driven for a while. Since it's a 1994 Mazda, the ATX seals were weeping, now it's much better but sometimes still have ATX fluid leaking out when in reverse ( must be the valve body clogged, causing extreme pressure?)

So basically:

1) Should I add full bottle 12oz AutoRx? Because ATX fluid leaking sometimes & it takes 8.7 quarts/ 8.3 liters

2) Drive it long/hard to help AutoRX do its job? More distance/heat better? Shift it through all gears? Drive for 1000-1500 miles/1600-2400 kilometers

Thanks for everyone's help @ BITOG!
ekw0

Every automatic I've had has a rougher 1-2 shift when cold as compared to when warm. My '97 Maxima recently got a flush with 50% Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and 50% Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Although improved, it still has a slightly rougher 1-2 shift when first driven. Once warm, the shifts are nearly imperceptible, except when looking at the tach.
I wouldn't add any more AutoRx. Just finish out the 1500 miles or whatever it is. I used it in mine prior to this last flush, and ran it about 2000 or so. I did it more for preventative reasons, and I had a few ounces left over from cleaning my engine.

Dave

ConfederateTyrant ... thanks for the advice. I'm about 300km ~186 miles into the clean phase. Just a bit worried cuz the ATX is sometimes leaking when going into reverse & that I have to top off with some Dexron/Mercon fluid. Wouldn't it dilute the AutoRX to the point where a bit more of it is needed to effectively clean?

Dave, I guess I would have to live with the "1-2 rough shift" based on your experience. As I mentioned earlier, AutoRX did improve slowly my ATX, it's just this 1-2 shift bugging me, and the fact that it still sometimes leaks when in reverse. Maybe at the end of the treatment, after the T-TEC, I'd use 100% synthetic or try 50/50 mix syn/dino. But some people say that using syn on older ATX would make it puke.

Using synthetic ATF won't cause any harm. You'd actually be doing your transmission a lot of good by running Auto-RX beforehand.

How much have you had to add because of the leak?

If it's been less than a quart, then I wouldn't bother adding any. Frank has said that after a small amount of miles, the Auto-RX has bound itself to the metal and is no longer in suspension with the ATF.

Also, remember the 6 ounces of Auto-RX is designed to treat larger sump transmissions. You have 6 ounces in your ~9 quart transmissions, so diluting it with one or two quarts isn't going to be any different than treating a ~11 quart transmission with the same 6 ounces.

I haven't measured the amount I used, but approx. every 5-7days the dipstick would be halfway between the full & low mark. I then top off with ATF. Since the weather is really hot right now, it is helping with the cleaning phase. I can't wait till it's done so that I'll do the flush (T-TEC) to make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back