Ranger & Liberty tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for new tires on both cars. Ranger is a 4.0 2WD (235-70-15)-Liberty is a 4x4 (255-75-16). Looking for light truck all season tires. These cars see almost all pavement, but will see the occasional dirt/gravel road. Quiet tires would be a plus.

I've heard good things about the Triple treads and Silent armor from GY, but they are $$. The Bridgstone Alena's get good ratings at Tire rack as well. Very tempted by the AVON Ranger TSE's but you have to get replacements from Tire Rack which I don't like.

I'm open to all suggestions and experiences.
Thanks.

I am running firestone destination le's on my silverado and when time comes, my vitara 4x4 will see the same. very well made tire and wearing great.

Sell and LOVE Cooper Discover ATR as a combination highway and occasional gravel road tire. Also Discover H/T for more interstate and city driving.

Even better personal favorites are Dean (one of Cooper's house brands) Wildcat AT instead of ATR and Dean Wildcat SLT as Discover H/T substitute. Excellent quality, in both Cooper and Dean, Dean is approx 15% cheaper as they don't pay Arnold Palmer to advertise the off brands.

Don't personally use it as a selling point but Cooper offers a MONEY BACK 45 day FREE REPLACEMENT if you are not satisfied in any way!

Bob

Truck guys around here love the Cooper line of products, I really like the Michellin LTX M&S tires on my Dakota.

Firestone Firehawk Indy is a terrific all-season tire if you can find it in that size. It's also affordable.

My other pick would be Continental CrossContact LX. They are a newer line that is incredibly smooth and quiet with even, lasting treadwear. We run these on a couple trucks at work. They probably offer one of the best bang for the buck in an highway all-season tire right now.

I have the Indy 500's on my Ranger and have no complaints. They are smooth, quiet, and keep a balance for a very long time. I have put them on my truck twice now. They are available for a very good price as well. Tire plus and Tirerack.com bot carry them.

I'll add a 4th vote to the Firestone Indy 500's. Have them on my 1/2 ton GMC for about 30K now and are still going strong and looking good. Definitely a street performance tire but they can handle the occassional dirt road. I'll buy another set once these wear out.

The Firestone Destination LE would also be a good choice if you want something with a little more dirt traction and more of a on/off road appearance. I don't use them but have heard they offer a nice smooth ride for a LT style tire.

I've run Coopers and Mastercrafts (same thing) on several service trucks and have been pretty impressed. Mostly use the Cooper Discoverer HT as Bob mentioned above, or the Mastercraft equivalent. We get about 30K out of these tires, on vehicles that are rode hard and put away wet. I'd imagine you could get better mileage if you cared for them.

Hard to beat the Michelin LTX M/S for your needs but they are a bit spendy. Certainly worth shopping around for. It's a terrific tire.

I'll have to agree on the Indy 500's. Very good all around tire. I also had a 4.0 2wd Ranger and those were the shoes of choice.

Have placed two sets of KUMHO Ecsta STZ on 2WD JEEP Cherokees. 45,000 miles on one, half that on another. Terrific grip, low noise (but not quite "quiet") and great, even wear. Would have gone another 30,000 on first JEEP but vehicle totaled in wreck caused by another driver. Great brakes/shocks/TIRES made a real difference.

What TIRE RACK calls "Sport Truck" are among my first choices for the usual commuter. MICHELIN if it really counts (heavy truck, heavy loads, heavy towing AND long life), and the LTX M&S is about impossible to beat.

I'd also look at the BRIDGESTONE Alenza Dueler, heard and read much good about this line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back