Conklin Convoy 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a brand new Oil Analysis from Monitor of Conklin Convoy 15w40. Any comments on oil would be appreciated.
Iron 1
Aluminum 1
Silicon 7
Molybdenum 102
Boron 139
Magnesium 16
Calcium 5692
Phosphorus 1460
Zinc 1420
Everything else was 0
The report did not give me TBN.

Seems to have plenty of silicon, this oil would do well in a HEUI engine I think. The add pack looks to be fairly decent. If the base oil is good this is probably a good oil for the price, BTW what is the price?

Quote:

I know a farmer who uses this stuff in all his PSDs, tractors, etc. He never seems to have any problems.

In the mid- to late-1970s, I worked at the Conklin plant in Shakopee, MN. I worked in the packaging department, but the synthetic motor oils came from elsewhere.

Their retail prices were/are high. But folks were encouraged to sign up as dealers to get the wholesale price.

I used many of their products, as I could get a dented can of lubricating oil or fuel additive for free, just for the asking. But I never tried the synthetic motor oil, as it was subject to more-strict inventory controls.

The Conklin Convoy motor oils are made by someone else and repackaged into Conklin containers.

I'm afraid I don't visit this site very often and see that I should. I logged on today because I had the time and after reading quite a number of threads thought to myself there is a lot of good information and knowledgeable people here. I then did a search for Conklin since I sell this brand of oil and it seems there is a need although small for more information regarding mfg., results and price. I have been using this company's oil for 30 years and selling it for 10 years. I personally have had no problems as a user or as a distributor. Recently a we concluded a test on a transit bus (using 15W40) picked at random from a fleet of 22 to see if the millage would improve, I would be happy to supply this to anyone who would like to see it along with prices and what ever else may be needed. If this post is inappropriate moderators please feel free to remove it. If it stays anyone can PM me and I promise I will check this forum often just supply your email and get you what you want as best I can.

Talk about beating a dead horse. It's been said time and again here that comparing oils based on $20 VOA results is useless. The total package and many UOA's might mean something.

"I know a farmer that used "insert brand here" oil for 50 years and had no problems" is just about useless.

The late Stinky Peterson who ran the Cat Oil labs in the north-midwest PM'd me several years ago saying that after doing tens of thousands of oil analysis' on some 14 to 18 HDEO oil brands (including the boutiques), he could not pick out a "holy grail" oil.

Who's to say that those high add packs are going to result in longer engine life.

Having said all this, it is interesting to learn about and discuss new/different brands.

doitmyself,

Good post, I don't intend to beat a dead horse and I'm not clamming this oil is the "Holy Grail". It has served me well and so it goes. There are many good oils out there I don't intend to say different. I simply started this to answer any questions if I can. I don't intend to debate, argue or criticize other products. I know others have had excellent results with other oils so debates are not an option.
Thanks for reading my post. Let's do this right, ya gotta have fun.

Although I have no diesel engines, I've used Convoy in gas engines for 15 years, and have been a wholesale distributor for nearly as long. I've had excellent results with Convoy, as well as adding their TKO additive to conventional oil. I currently run Convoy 15W40 in my Kawasaki ZRX1200.

BTW, Convoy is a blend of Group II/IV.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back