Going to Germany. VOA interests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be going to Germany at the end of July and figured maybe I could pick up some oil to see what the Europeans have been using.

Of course, I will have to consider transportation/ shipping limitations and prices, considering the Europeans are paying some crazy prices for their oils.

If anybody has any experience with shipping or bringing oil from Europe please let me know. I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to bring it with me so I will have end up shipping it.

My choice would be Mobil 1 0w-40, to see if it is the same stuff we are getting here.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

You could also pick up some of the new Castrol Edge 0w-30 so that we can see how different it is now from the GC Gold that is currently being sold in the US.

Edge 0w-30 is the new version of SLX LongTec which delivered nearly identical VOA as GC Gold. Curious if they changed anything in the formulation/add pack when they changed the name from SLX to Edge.

You'll have to ship your oils home on a boat. Get a package together and send it UPS or DHL. Expect it to take about 3 weeks.

Of course,, if you just want oil analysis quantities then the limit is 3 ounces in your luggage. Take a few of the tiny trial size shampoo bottles and if asked just tell them that it's 'eau de toilette'
grin.gif

You can also just bring a bunch of Blackstone test kits with you. Fill them in Germany and mail them back to Blackstone from Germany. I used to do that when I was living in Poland - the shipping cost via standard airmail is not much at all. This way you don't have to travel with any oil.

Quote:

You can also just bring a bunch of Blackstone test kits with you. Fill them in Germany and mail them back to Blackstone from Germany. I used to do that when I was living in Poland - the shipping cost via standard airmail is not much at all. This way you don't have to travel with any oil.

Good advice!

With all the terrorist concerns and rules about flammable materials I wouldn't travel with oil, or any liquid.

I read that a World Cup Ski technician was fined $35,000 for material in his alpine ski wax kit.

I suggest you skip the oil smuggling. Instead stuff yourself with Black Forest ham and call it a day.
wink.gif

You can have your oil samples analyzied in Germany (unless you stay only a few days). Send me a PM if you need a link to place who will perform that service.

Thank you for all your responses. I figured that I wouldn't be able to take the oil with me, so I planned on taking some of the Blackstone sample bottles and sending it direct.

Anybody interested in anything specific?

Moribundman, are you in Europe? Have you done any VOAs on the Euro oils?

Quote:

It would be interesting to see some Elf VOAs. This would be strictly academic as we can't readily get that here in the US. Of course, the Castrol Edge as already mentioned would be nice.

Quote:

Quote:

It would be interesting to see some Elf VOAs. This would be strictly academic as we can't readily get that here in the US. Of course, the Castrol Edge as already mentioned would be nice.

Depending on where you are, you can. The local import shop near me is a distrubtor. I just bought a 5L jug of Elf a few weeks ago and put it in yesterday!
smile.gif

Thanks guys. I think Ill try the Mobil 1 oils.

Maybe even the VW LongLife III oil.

All depends on what the prices are doing.

You all are wierd. You can buy oil anywhere for any reason and you can bring back a case if you want in your suit case. I wouldnt try to put it in my pants and get through security, but if its in your suitcase your good to go, do you know how much Vodka and Wine comes back in suit cases. Hold a match to motor oil, now try the vodka. You can fly a gun in your suitcase as long as its luggage. Get some oil enjoy yourself, live like 007.

LOCAL MAN IN RENO NEVADA TAKES PLANE HOSTAGE WITH CASTROL 10W30. THEATENS TO DUMP OIL ON PILOT IF DEMANDS NOT MET. OTHER WIEGHTS OF OIL MAY BE INVOLVED. GERMANY CONCEDES TO PUT A 3 DAY WAITING PERIOD ON ALL MOTOR OIL AND A PERMANENT BAN ON ALL OIL SUPPLEMENTS DUE TO THIS ACT.

VW Longlife III is in NA 7.40 per litre its in my 1.9 PD motor now. The Mobil ESP 5W30 is the thickest 507 I have seen to date, cept maybe LM TopTec 4200 3.7 HTST. Mobil says it has no plans to market ESP 5w30 in NA. With all the DPF coming not sure I understand. The ESP 5w40 MB spec is available.

I live in the northern part of Europe. I could send samples of "European" oil to analysis.
I have M1 0W-40 (SL and SM, SM is in quart bottles, it's probably imported from US) and Fina First Synthetic 5W-40 in my basement.
I have easy access to Castrol/Elf/Valvoline/Shell/Fuchs/Agip/Mobil/Esso.

I pay for the oil, and I use it in my cars later if the oil is ACEA A3 (the others go in my lawn mower
smile.gif
) but I'd like some help to pay for the VOAs (if it's more than 2).

Quote:

MAN DEMANDS OIL ANALYSIS OF OIL IN JET ENGINES AS PART OF DEMANDS...

SPECIFIES THAT HE NEEDS TO HAVE DEFINITE PROOF OF THE GROUP OF BASE OIL.
grin.gif

You guys crack me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back