Any risk to engine with slight overfill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDD

Hello!

Did my usual oil change and added a bit more than I should have this time around into my 3.8L V6 Grand Prix. Cold oil level shows it about 1 mm or so above the fill mark (where the hash marks end). Should I be worried at all? Manuals mention overfilling is bad (which I can understand). For the record, how much does one have to overfill to actually cause damage?

Kevin.

Going by your description of 1mm passed the full line, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The only danger of over filing is if the counterweights on the crankshaft strike the oil pool during its revolutions; this can cause the oil to foam up resulting in oil pump cavitation.

How much oil do you have to add past the full mark to reach that point? I don't know, but I wish I did because I've got a 3.8L in my Buick.

It can't be much, from my guesses. If it takes ~ 1 quart to go from empty to full on the dipstick (which covers around 25-30mm of range), then 1 mm seems like a pretty small volume. I will watch it and see what comes of it.

Funny thing is now that I changed the oil, my low coolant sensor light came on for the first time ever. I cannot see how they are connected...coincidence, perhaps? I hope so. Will watch that too.

Kev.

Given that Holden put a shorter dipstick to hold an extra quart when the Commodores started having blow-ups due to running out of oil, I don't think 1mm will be any harm.

My local Toyota dealer overfilled by 1.5 c/ms on dipstick which when I told them they said it would be ok. I used my vac oil extractor and took out 1.2 litres to bring to the full mark. What was more worrying was I took my own oil, 5 litres Mobil 1, the capacity is 4.7 litres so by my calculations nearly 1 litre of oil came from nowhere! Did they forget to drain properly, forget to change filter or start to fill with their bulk oil before they realised I had brought my own? Who knows?
Roger

Roger,
Your right, who knows? Makes a person wonder sometimes.

TDD,
Did your coolant sensor light turn off yet? I was just wondering if you had changed your oil/filter using ramps and coincidently your coolant was a bit low at the time the nose of the car was up on the ramps causing the coolant light to turn on. Just a thought!

Quote:

Hello!

Did my usual oil change and added a bit more than I should have this time around into my 3.8L V6 Grand Prix. Cold oil level shows it about 1 mm or so above the fill mark (where the hash marks end). Should I be worried at all? Manuals mention overfilling is bad (which I can understand). For the record, how much does one have to overfill to actually cause damage?

Kevin.

Not one bit, the 3800 in my van i always run 1/4 to 1/2 qt
over full, hurts nothing......

i'v been doing this for YEARS on all my cars never a problem
oil seems to stay cleaner longer too...

It was up then down for a bit, but no coolant leaks and the system is full. Took it for a good tester spin right after the change and towards the end of the run, this is when it came on...then off. A few hours later, went for another spin and it did not come on, even with some harsh acceleration cycles to get things moving. I did tap the sensor strongly to "unstick" it and perhaps clean some gunk off the sensing elements prior to the second run...will watch it this week.

Funny but now the car seems to run cooler with the XD-3 0w30 that I put into it. Should I expect any issues even though they recommend 10w30? They do cite using 0w30 in the manual if it is "very cold"...I was surprised!

Kev.

Quote:

Should I expect any issues even though they recommend 10w30? They do cite using 0w30 in the manual if it is "very cold"...I was surprised!

Kev.

Nope no issues, maybe just a little usage, i use M1 0w30
in the winter in my 3800 van and it used like 1/4 qt in
4000 miles..

I always add 5 qts when I change the oil with a stock filter in my 3800. I'be been doing so for years, it hurts nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back