Improve brakes? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever try one of those "brake booster" things that look like a horshoe?
I never did, my Avid V-brakes were fine, both on my Moab and my Zetech, but I've seen guys with them.

Quote:

Quote:

Ride that new bike as hard as you possibly can on the trails. Give it H E L L. After breaking things a few times, you will either decide to give up mountain biking, or you will look into more durable equipment from a local bike shop. Generally speaking, any bike under $500 will not stand up to too much abuse.

Very much agreed. I try not to discourage folks from riding, even on a discount store bike, but those are best left for kids who will outgrow them in a few months, not folks looking to get into the sport. One will have a much better experience with a bike shop bike and the support which comes with it than with a discount store bike assembled by a min wage, part time, non-riding, sales associate. $150 for 6 months of hard use is a lot more than $400-500 for 2-3 years of hard use.

I believe that learning to work on and repair your own bike is way better than to depend on a bike shop for anything other than buying parts.

Quote:

My biggest fear of disc brakes has to do with the load on the asymmetrically arranged spokes. I've seen more than one front wheel fold over during hard braking. A high quality wheel is a must with disc brakes.

Any chance they were radially laced? Those wouldn't stand a chance with disc brakes. Cross-3 is the minimum when you have discs.

I've never personally seen a mechanical disc brake setup that compares to hydraulic discs. I'm still running V-brakes though, so obviously I can make do with much less than the best when it comes to braking! V-brakes are fine without mud and/or long, intense downhill runs, but I'd probably own discs if I lived in the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back