CA-40 results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a quart some weeks ago and have been using it in 2 vehicles. 92 Olds Silhouette (the plastic anteater), 3.8, 237K. 98 Mercury Sable, 3.0, 155k.

The van, my daily driver, has consistently averaged 20mpg most of its life. The Sable, the wife's daily driver, typically got 23mpg.

The van now consistently gets 22+mpg. Had one tankful with no improvement, one with a high of just under 25mpg. The van had never done that well before (25), even on a trip. The last 2 tankfuls were 23+ each.

The Sable seems to be much more variable, either showing no improvement at all on a couple of tanks, to results of 5 - 20% improvement. Her results are usually in the 5 - 7% range overall. But the wife's driving conditions are much more variable as well. Much more city driving, with attending interstate gridlocks.

The van is NOTICEABLY smoother running since using the additive. Very noticeable. Sable feels about the same.

Paid 38.20 including shipping for the quart of CA-40. If I only used it in my van, and if I continue to get 22mpg or more, I calculated a NET savings of about $155, based on $3/gal gas. Gas prices in our neck of the woods have been all over the map. As high as $3.49 recently, but now have dropped to as low as $2.81. Go figure.

Some observations. The additive is a thick brown liquid, approaching the consistency of something like STP. To my nose, it has a faint sweet odor to it. It does settle out, meaning after sitting for a day or so, the liquid will be lighter on top, darker on the bottom. Shake well before pouring.

Received a graduated plastic syringe with the order, but I don't like using it. Too difficult to draw it into the syringe. Instead I pour it out into a small graduated measuring cup, then put it into a small glass jar with a tightly sealing lid with a couple if ounces of gas. Shake like mad to get it to dissolve, then dump it in the tank.

The original recommendations were for one ounce to 18 - 20 gallons of fuel. Just recently I noticed that their site has changed that to 15 - 20 gallons if fuel. I always go for the highest dilution ratio of one ounce to 20 gallons gas.

Unless or until my results degrade, or the price of the additive goes too high, think I will probably continue using it in the future. Spending $38 to save $155 is a no brainer for me and my budget.
smile.gif

I am running it in two diesel vehicles. Have been driving some 5 tankfulls on each car, but I will not conclude anything yet. The one thing that I can mention, is that a friend of mine, driving a petrol car(2005 Mitsubishi), noticed a difference on his first tank of gas. He claimed the car used less, as well as being stronger. He is a truck driver. I gave him enough for another tank, and he said that the improvements continued. Now that he have been driving without it, he say that he can feel the car is slower, and seem to go back to the same MPG as before. I have also heard that Ca-40 seem to work best in petrol cars.

Sounds like snake oil after googling it. One person who asked for a refund was offered another bottle to test free of charge.

"Call right now and we'll send you not one, but two bottles for only $19.99 - but you must call in the next 10 mins"

I have tried it in two diesel cars. It mproved idling. It did nothing to the fuelconsumption(8 tankfulls each car). A friend of that have a petrol car, seem to have better results with it.

Referencing my earlier post in this thread, the mileage in my van is dropping off some. Don't know if the hotter weather (AC used more) is playing into this, or my inability lately to remember to add the CA-40 right after filling up.

Last 4 tanks have yielded 20, 22, 21, and 20 MPG respectively. We'll see how it continues to perform as I finish up with the last third of the quart.

dunno.gif

Our local Cenex gas stations are now selling it. I have enough fp3000 for seveal months, then I might try it.

Quote:

Our local Cenex gas stations are now selling it. I have enough fp3000 for seveal months, then I might try it.

How is it packaged, and what is the retail price at the stations?

Took a look at my local cenex store today. They had 32 oz bottles for $34.99 plus ND tax. This item is rather a hot product locally. Even one of my friends, who knows nothing about cars, even asked me if I heard of it.

"To my nose, it has a faint sweet odor to it."

That smell is canola oil. They use it for blending the calcium additive.

Getting ready to take a 3,000+ mile trip to the south and I will be giving this product a try. I will report when I return on November 19th.

I'm still in Texas but have used this product for the past 2,700 miles and could not tell any difference in mileage or performance.

I have some Hydrotex Essentialube that I am going to try on the trip back home, if I ever get there, since we are taking a detour through Wyoming.

Having started this thread many moons ago, I'll jump in here.

I've discontinued using CA-40 in both aforementioned vehicles.

The Sable never really showed a consistent improvement. At least not enough for me to justify the hassle/cost of ordering/using the product for only a very minor, inconsistent gain in MPG.

The Silouhette was/is a different matter. Old, high mileage vehicle (presently 248k) developed its first major mechanical issue just as I was considering ordering a second bottle of CA-40. Torque converter went south on me. In the process of diagnosing the problem, I replaced the spark plugs (which had been in there for at least 120k+), the spark plug wires (factory originals), and a couple of relays related to the tranny.

Ended up disconnecting an electrical lead which prevents the tranny from shifting into 4th/overdrive/lock-up. So now I drive with a 3-speed auto, not a 4-speed. Problem solved as far as the hard banging/thunking that had been happening when trying to accelerate in 4th. Otherwise, vehicle currently runs great.

As you might guess, this certainly skews any serious MPG comparison to pre CA-40 usage. Mileage has dropped with no overdrive. Duh.

Before the mechanical issues I was pleased (enough) with the typical 5 - 10% mileage increase that the product seemed to consistently deliver in the van, plus the engine ran noticeably smoother.

But I never liked having to mix/add it at every fill-up. To me, a real hassle.

Probably will not use CA-40 in the future on another vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back