Does Honda Accord trans filter need changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I check the manual and it doesn't state anything about trans filter. Does it have a lifetime one or just a regular one that needs to change with the fluid. Most service joints recommend 2 years and Honda say 10 years. I go with Honda and play it safe with 7 years.

You will always change the trans filter at the time of a fluid change. As far as the interval, I'll leave that up to you.
wink.gif

But I see no mention of a trans filter in owner manual and Hayne repair book. And the dealer doesn't carry one for 2002 model, but insist they can put a filter of earlier model in and give me a price break.

Does it have a lifetime filter? I think it has a lifetime fuel filter so I figure the trans filter is the same case.

Normally you would change the trans fluid and filter every 30K if memory serves me correct. I wouldn't try to get a trans fluid filter to last a lifetime no.

only the newer ones have an inline filter that can be changed. i was burned on this not long ago. Just drain and fill every 30k and consider having a flush done every 60k or so by a dealer in case the trans decides to self destruct down the road.

I had no idea that Honda's have no transmission fluid filter. I just recently found out that BMW's have no dipstick.
shocked.gif

Most of the Honda's that I have had, did not have a servicable ATF filter. Just drain from the bottom and refill from the top. The auto tranny is sealed and a filter change is only changed upon a rebuild. Even the Honda's from the late '80s were like that.

But Honda recommends 10 years or way over 100k miles so why do the 30k miles? I see 50k as a good number.

Again, just throwing opinion out there and ask for input. Not trying to undermine anyone's knowledge.

My Acura (Honda) also does not have a serviceable filter. Just the usual drain & refill. In my manual it states to have the fluid changed every 30k, they changed it to 100k in the newer Hondas?

Our '06 Accord doesn't even tell you what the recommended interval is: "Change it when the Maintenance Minder says to."

It might be based simply on mileage, or the algorithm could take other factors into consideration. Either way, Honda doesn't let the owner in on the secret....

I'm referring to the fluid in my post above - not the filter. On re-reading my post I see I wasn't too clear about that....

The filter is not mentioned anywhere in the owner's manual as a service item. If you look up this vehicle on Wix's website, for example, there is no listing for an ATF filter.

Most Japanese designed vehicles do not have a serviceable filter like American vehicles. They use what looks like a filter but it is a strainer assembly that prevents larger particles from circulating through the transmission (in theory). There is no felt pad as part of the assembly. Check the filter manufacturers and you will find that they do not have "filters" for Hondas. Most BITOGers recommend fairly frequent drains and refill of the ATF to remove contaminants and freshen the ATF additives. Just my
twocents.gif

I believe the 2003 on up accords have a servicable trans filter. I found the part number for my 04 V6.(I4 and V6 have completely different filters) It is a little bit of work to get at but one can do it. The part numbers can be found on the oil cooler return line page in the parts book.

As far as service interval, I changed the filter at 50,000 and change 3 quarts of trans fluid about every 10,000. That is just what I do.

The 7th Generation V6 5AT and the I4 5AT Accords do indeed have a tranny filter. But you are correct in that Honda doesn't really publish it as a serviceable filter...for some reason they don't want us messing with it. I just recently discovered this on another forum.

Here are links to both 5ATs on hondaautomotiveparts.com. It's not a procedure, but it's pretty clear what needs to be done. I looked on my V6 and it looks like I can get to it fairly easily if I remove the battery and battery tray.

I4 5AT

V6 5AT

Here's a couple of pix of what you might be dealing with (credit to BenjiBoy from DriveAccord.net):

trannyfilter1.jpg

trannyfilter2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back