Kohler 21HP Engine on a Toro Z5000 TimeCutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking strongly on replacing my 9 year old B&S 17.5 hp MTD with the following...:

A new TORO TimeCutter Z5000, 50" cut with the "21 HP Kohler Courage Twin Cam Engine!
grin.gif

Kohler has a good reputation, but does anyone know of this engine or have any experience with it???
dunno.gif

Does it have an Oil Filter? Why did they put a Twin Cam in it?

Anything else goor or to watch about this engine??

cheers.gif

That's the largest HP single cylinder kohler you can buy. Not a bad thing, fewer parts, probably less fuel consumption, etc. http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productdetail.jsp?engnID=171160 The Courage series are supposedly the 'residential' grade Kohlers. There's lots of Courage series out there now, they've been around for about ~3yrs. A few neighbors of mine have them. They sound good, no complaints.

Joel

Update:

The 5020 is probably a better option (?) since it is a twin, sot i single up. It should run smoother.

It has a 23 HP V-Twin, with an Oil Filter.

Any comments on the Kohler 23 HP V-Twin??

cheers.gif

I just bought the 21 HP Single. I think it will be more reliable than the twin...less moving parts, less complicated intake system, probably more fuel efficient. It's about 500cc displacement, whereas the twin is about 725. I like 4 cylinder cars, twin cylinder motorcycles, and single cylinder lawn equipment: call me old-fashioned...it's nicer than just calling me old.

Went & checked out the 5020 with the v-twin - yes, a full flow oil filter, good layout.

It even has a hose that hangs down a bit with a cap on it, so when you wanna change the oil, just remove the cap !

It's $3299, their Titan is about $1200 more for a stronger deck, but don't see a need spending that much more.

The 23 HP 5020 is the Courage line of engines I believe...

cheers.gif

I own a landscape business and have Kohler engines on all equipment. Been very excellent, some equipment has over 1500 hrs and runs like a charm. Kohler has stood behind thir product very well, as long as I use their oil of course.

I'm with ya Titan. The simpler the better. The Courage series engines have some cool features like sealing areas that are up and out of the oil sump to reduce leak points, nice filter location, etc. Having owned lots of different OPE engines, singles, twins, vert shaft, horizontal shaft, they are all good. Smoothness IMO is more in the overall design of the machine as opposed to being associated with just the engine. I'll admit, my 20hp Kohler Command twin horizontal shaft has an awesome Harley sound to it at idle and on throttle-up in my Cub Cadet 2544, but running at max governed speed, they all drone on the same. With fuel the price it is, going bigger than what you need will cost you.

Joel

My personal opinion is that mowers have gotten way overpowered unless you're using them to do more than just cut grass. Back in the day it was common to see 12-17HP engines on 50" and 54" decks. Now these units have 20-28HP. And a mower with 38" deck will have 17HP or more.

With these new machines you can easily smoke a PTO or deck belt and hardly pull the engine down. Now that's progress!
laugh.gif

Quote:

My personal opinion is that mowers have gotten way overpowered unless you're using them to do more than just cut grass. Back in the day it was common to see 12-17HP engines on 50" and 54" decks. Now these units have 20-28HP. And a mower with 38" deck will have 17HP or more.

With these new machines you can easily smoke a PTO or deck belt and hardly pull the engine down. Now that's progress!
laugh.gif

Well, the machines of today DO do more than just cut grass. They cut Time! One mentioned is this thread is called the "TimeCutter". Anything powerful enough to disrupt the space-time continuum has to have more than 15 HP.
laugh.gif

RE: smoking the deck...I drop the rpms to idle when I engage the deck, and do it slowly...because I worry about exactly what you mentioned!
blush.gif
These really are getting to be powerful for just cutting grass...

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

Well, the machines of today DO do more than just cut grass. They cut Time! One mentioned is this thread is called the "TimeCutter". Anything powerful enough to disrupt the space-time continuum has to have more than 15 HP.
laugh.gif

RE: smoking the deck...I drop the rpms to idle when I engage the deck, and do it slowly...because I worry about exactly what you mentioned!
blush.gif
These really are getting to be powerful for just cutting grass...

laugh.gif

I throttle down before I engage the deck also. The problem is when you get into tall wet grass and plug the deck. The motor slows down some, but there goes the PTO belt if you don't disengage the deck quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back