Oil for Comet Pump (AXD2524)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is a comet pump? lubing what? the on off switch? or a gearbox? what do they recomned in the owners manual.
bruce

I saw Comet pressure washer pump oil at Northern Tools. It was supposed to be some kind of special oil per the label and cost about double the generic pump oil from Mag1 that was next to it. The Comet pump oil had a darker color either from some sort of dye or moly additive, perhaps.

Yeah its a pressure washer pump. I read somewhere that you should use Mobil 1 15w50, but I can't find anything on their site.

It LOOKS a lot like my comet pump, but I won't be able to check model # until I get home. My manual say "hydraulic oil".....so I use this: Amsoil Hydraulic/Tractor oil I've been using it for a couple years with no issues. I think a motor oil will have too many additives and an XW-50 will be too heavy.

What does your manual say?

I use the green CAT pump oil in our Comet. It works fine. Northern sells both CAT oil and generic PW pump oil fairly cheaply. If in a pinch, and nearby a marina, I think a bottle of outdrive unit lube would probably work ok, too. I don't think motor oil is a good lube choice here.

If Comet has anything else to say on the topic, it would likely be somewhere in here:

http://www.cometpump.com/REPAIR PUMP MANUAL.pdf

PW pumps can be touchy little beasts, with about ten different easy ways to burn them up in short order. One would think all that water would keep them cool.

Quote:

PW pumps can be touchy little beasts, with about ten different easy ways to burn them up in short order. One would think all that water would keep them cool.

I agree, the slightest air suction in the stream and they take a long time to build pressure, and I think likely destroying the pump in the process. I always try to assure my water hose is fully charged with NO (trapped) air prior to starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back