2000 BMW 540i Auto - 85K miles - what synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all of my other prior cars I have been using M1, with a one exception:

- 2002 M3 required Castrol TWS Motorsport Full Synthetic 10W60 (only available at the BMW dealer, for about $10-11/quart)

In this 2000 BMW 540i, the prior owner and BMW shop has been using the "standard approved oil", which is Castrol Synthec 5W30 about every 3-5K miles or so.

On my first oil change I used M1 0W40 as a few in the BMW board (roadfly) highly recommended this one for my 4litter V8.

Now that I found this site and have more experienced folks in this subject, I wanted to find out generally speaking which fully synthetic oils I should consider. The engine did had some oil leaks before I bought it used, but those have been fixed now and there are no oil leaks at all.

Some preferences/goals and some questions:
- The 4.0 litter is relatively small, pulling a relatively heavy car, and the engine works fairly hot, so I do want to stay with a full synthetic oil - I don't want any blends
- I do on occasion do hard runs on the engine (WOT), and I am considering doing some auto-x which gets the operating engine to the upper end of the safe range - I want a premium oil with the extra protection
- I will most likely keep a 5-10K Mile OCI - works for me and my maintenance schedule, even if at the end of the 10K miles the oil is still perfect, I will still change it between 5-10K miles.
- I am not after the cheapest oil, but rather I want good availability in a few stores (instead of just the BMW dealer!)
- I don't mind trying 2-3 oils until I find one that works best - experimentation is actually fun.
- Icing on the cake would be if the engine would run as smooth as possible and give good/reasonable gas mileage.
- from what I am reading here already, sounds like before I do anything, that I should to at least one application of auto-rx (maybe two applications since I am close to the 100K range?) to get the engine as clean/ready for the next 100K miles. Anything I should consider before ordering the auto-rx stuff?
- Even though I want to have fairly fixed OCI's, I do like of having the oil analized to know how things are goind and to see which oils are holding up during actual use. A long time ago I used the Blackstone labs (or something that sounded like that). Are there other better labs/analysis I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Will

It gets really hot in here most of the year. For only about 2-3 months (Dec-Feb) it gets cold enough that I would consider a "lighter" oil for those months, if you guys feel it is necessary/recommended.

Will

Why all the bimmer questions recently...the answers seem to be the same.

Run ANY A3 rated 40 or 50 weight and you will be golden. If M-1 0-40 works for you, go for it. I use Syntec 5-40/50. No need to change it less than 7-10k either.

Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 0W-40.

I like Redline and would look at Redline 5W-30 or 5W-40 every 7000 miles.

Other options include:

Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30
Amsoil 5W-40 Euro

there are oils from Elf and Motul worth looking at, I am using Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 and it is better than GC 0W-30 which would be a good choice [if you could find it ]

Quote:

Quote:

The 4.0 litter is relatively small,

Isn't it actually a 4.4 liter?

Yes, I stand corrected. The V-8 in my 540i is in fact a 4.4 Litter V-8
grin.gif

Will

Thank you everyone for the feedback and suggestions. I will see which of these I can easily buy locally.

What about the lab to use to analyze the oil? Wasn't there a good lab somewhere in Texas?

Will

Quote:

The one in Texas I was wondering was:

www.dysonanalysis.com

Any good?

I think so. He's quick to answer questions, and his reports look very good to me. I haven't yet sent my UOA sample in to the lab yet though. Pretty sure Terry Dyson posts here--as "Terry" maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back