Wrong filter?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought a new commuter car ('95 Ford Aspire, 40+ mpg!). SO, first thing I do is change oil and put in some ARX. I noticed afterward, that there are two different filters available for the car. One is for the car mfg before a certain date, the other for mfg after. I realized I bought the latter one, but should have bought the former. I looked at them side by side @ the store and saw that one has a spring thing inside, the other doesn't, assuming the bypass valve? So, I guess the car is currently running a filter without a bypass... is this a bad thing?

After 3/14/95

Part Number: 51365
UPC Number: 765809513655
Principal Application: Ford (92-97), Honda (00-07), Infiniti/Nissan (95-07), Mazda (97-07), Mercury (91-96), Saab (05-06), Subaru (88-07), Cub Cadet, Yanmar, John Deere, Kawasaki, Kobelco, Outboard Marine Engines
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.577
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=15/22
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Before 3/14/95

Part Number: 51334
UPC Number: 765809513341
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Chevrolet (85-88), Dodge (91-96), Ford (88-96), Honda (72-05), Hyundai (89-07), Isuzu (85-04), Kia (01-07), Mercury (87-91), Mitsubishi (89-98), Subaru (87-07), John Deere, Kobelco, Komatsu, Kubota, Onan, Toro & Yanmar Diesel
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40
Burst Pressure-PSI: 280
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

The newer filter is smaller with better filtering spec's in Wix. It also appears to have a slightly higher burst strength ..and I don't see how it would be altered by a certain date
confused.gif
I don't know what would have been added in mid production to the engine that would have required a smaller filter except for fitment/proximity issues (like if they changed exhaust manifolds or something like that)..and if it was a level of filtration issue, one would think that it would be retro'd to the other model too.
dunno.gif

Well, maybe it's just the size. I have the larger one on there that fits fine. I couldve sworn that one had a bypass and the other didn't... maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:

Gary ,think there would be a real life difference?

No, but someone sure thought it was important. The odd thing for me is that they maintained the old spec filter for the old spec engine. Since Tommyboy here has no fitment issues, one would reason that it wasn't for fitment reasons (adds up in my head)...and if the old filter ran into some issue in the old engine, inspiring the change, then one would reason that the old engine would also get the new evolution. We could imagine that something changed in the engine ..but the filters appear to be almost identical in all meaningful spec's with the exception of level of filtration.

..but we do know that Ford is very anal about their OEM spec's with filters. Their engine division wrote the book on the infamous "S" spec ADBV and open end BPV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back