Now that GC is gone, what to use for top-offs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lament the passing of GC from my local AZ. Now here's a stupid question. I have used GC in my '99 Honda Accord with the 2.3 I-4 for the past 2 years. My OCI is about 5000 to 6000 miles, approximately every 6 months. The engine has over 90,000 miles. It uses about 1/2 to 1 quart in 3000 miles, and I'm out of GC. What should I use for a top off oil? Does it matter? I was thinking about Syntec 5w-40 or Maxlife synthetic 5w-30. Finally, what do you folks suggest after GC? Believe it or not, and contrary to many people's experience, my Honda loves thicker oil. I was thinking of using either of the two oils mentioned above or Elf Excellium 0w-30 (but wow is it expensive!) with the same OCI. Thank you for your replies.

P.S. I won't use Mobil 1 because it made the engine clatter a lot.

Those both sound like good choices. Or, from the few UOA's that are here, Syntec 5-30 even has shown reports as good as the GC even. I have it in my older accord right now, and cruising down the hwy you just cannot hear the engine. You might be surprised at how this thinner oil does.

LOL. I've been using my remaining Mobil 1 stash as top-off to GC in the three vehicles I maintain. No noticeable engine noise in any of them.

I'm considering both the Elf 0w-30 and Maxlife Full Syn 5w-30 as future purchases due Autozone's discontinued sale of GC here in the Los Angeles area. (I have one less reason to shop at Autozone). The newer Silver bottle Maxlife Full Syn 5w-30 meets and exceeds API SM/SL/CF ACEA A3,B3 BMW LL04 MB229.5... Euro approved, but no "Starburst" on the API logo.

The Product Data Sheet on the Elf Excellium Full Tech 0w-30 (PAO Group IV ?) looks identical to GC. At $50 a 5 litre jug (including shipping) it's more than twice the price of the Valvoline's 5Qt. 5w-30/10w-30 Maxlife Full Syn at Wal-Mart ($20.50).

Bowser

I'd top off with Syntec 5W-40 or 5W-30.

I really like the Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30...better than GC, IMHO.

I'm also a huge fan of Redline and I'd use 5W-30 in your motor. Redline 5W-30 is not thin , trust me, and you may find oil consumption drops noticeably if you switch to Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back