Tires for lounging Avalon

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIL (Mother in law) needs new tires for her 2000 Toyota Avalon. I would like to give her slighty stiffer sidewalls. She hardly drives the car anymore, the wife and I drive her around in the car mostly. It already handles like a soft rotten banana.

Thanks

I knew you would ask that.....tonight I'll check what is installed on the beast (other than nearly bald tires). I'm not sure what size, etc....

Thanks.

On the car now are:

Dunlop SP SPORT 4000 A/S P205/65R15 92H

I would have never guessed they are H's. The sidewalls are cracking and ugly. Maybe just a better H tire.

The Yokohama's I like on the Volvo.....

BFGoodrich Traction T/A
Bridgestone Turanza LS

Avalon is meant to provide a squishy ride.

Just about anything will beat that particular Dunlop,,,'cept maybe Walmart's Douglas.

Be adventurous! Try the new Cooper mentioned in another thread here.

Bob

With a 205/65 profile, whatever you get, it'll still feel kind of mushy since the sidewall is relatively high. Increased PSI might help a bit, but I wouldn't expect miarcles.

I like the RE960AS recommendation. Also worth considering would be Yoko Avid H4S. I don't think there are any really stiff tires made in that size unfortunately.

Thanks - I'm leaning toward the Yokohama's.

I wonder how 60's would fit...........
smile.gif

You want a harder ride?

Try Kumho ECSTA ASX, Pirelli PZeros, or Toyo Proxies 4.

Around here, I see quite a few Toyotas running on the Michelin X-Radials from Costco. I have a set of Hydroedges on the Saturn right now and they ride fairly firm when inflated between 35-40.

Quote:

You want a harder ride?

Try Kumho ECSTA ASX, Pirelli PZeros, or Toyo Proxies 4.

Around here, I see quite a few Toyotas running on the Michelin X-Radials from Costco. I have a set of Hydroedges on the Saturn right now and they ride fairly firm when inflated between 35-40.

I'll check those........I want a harder ride, if that's at all possible with that ____ car, but MIL probably has a few years of driving left....at 80 years old.

I went from Michelin's to Yok's Avid TRZ's, 80k warranty and my wife is very happy with them. The car is a 96 Volvo 850 turbo wagon and she commutes about 350+ miles a week in terrible rush hour traffic, that's anything from creaping to 85mph+. I'd buy them again. Tread wear is great and they feel good in the rain. It's going to be interesting to see if the last 80k miles. Wear rate now suggests, yes.

crazy.gif
WOW - what a transformation. I KNEW it was the tires. The Yokohama's have transformed this car. I mean it's no Euro beast, and it still grannie's car, but it doesn't do the shaking wallow anymore. AND I'm only running 32 psi. 50 psi tonight.
grin.gif
Made in USA.
patriot.gif
(yeah from import oil!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back