Lucas UCL vs Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I was wondering wether these two products perform the same service as an "Upper Cylinder Lube" and "Fuel Injector" cleaner? Both claim to clean the injectors BUT the Techron doesn't do any upper cylinder lubrication. What do you all think? Do I need to keep buying BOTH to perform a cleaning service?

Durango
usa2.gif

The techron is not a lubricant at all, it is a heavy duty injector cleaner that works very well. UCL on the other hand is a lubricant and fuel dispersant with some minor cleaning abilities. I prefer Techron for cleaning.

Quote:

The techron is not a lubricant at all, it is a heavy duty injector cleaner that works very well. UCL on the other hand is a lubricant and fuel dispersant with some minor cleaning abilities. I prefer Techron for cleaning.

Dominic,

Thank you for your reply. I just added both to my tank and now feel confident that I did the right thing. Don't wanna add too much.

Durango
usa2.gif

Why not run a top-tier fuel and save the money spent on the snake oils? All these additives, for the oil and the fuel, are they REALLY necessary if you run the appropriate grades of oil and octane level of fuel? I get a sixties' era V-8 needing a little help, some turbos and high-pop performance cars maybe but if the manufacturers wanted this stuff, wouldn't they ASK for it?
dunno.gif

Now that I think of it, I do believe the car makers specifically argue against adds except as trouble appears. Heavy, ongoing treatments to fuel and oil are prohibited in every owner's manual I've ever seen. I do believe the folks that sell additives of all sorts have folks a little bamboozled. MHO, of course.

Most additives are snake oil, but all automakers I know of recommend Techron as a fuel system cleaner. It's very well regarded and has been proven to be worth the $$. Running a bottle every 10,000mi is sufficient treatment to keep the injectors clean for most vehicles.

Quote:

Why not run a top-tier fuel and save the money spent on the snake oils? All these additives, for the oil and the fuel, are they REALLY necessary if you run the appropriate grades of oil and octane level of fuel? I get a sixties' era V-8 needing a little help, some turbos and high-pop performance cars maybe but if the manufacturers wanted this stuff, wouldn't they ASK for it?
dunno.gif

Now that I think of it, I do believe the car makers specifically argue against adds except as trouble appears. Heavy, ongoing treatments to fuel and oil are prohibited in every owner's manual I've ever seen. I do believe the folks that sell additives of all sorts have folks a little bamboozled. MHO, of course.

Toocrazy, Dominic,

I admit I don't run TOP TIER gasoline all the time cuz out here in Los Angeles these gasolines are considered for only millionairs from my pocket book. I might purchase Costco gasoline and purchase these additives to put in now and then. Techron is not a snake oil as I've heard from the car magazines and internet that it works. An Upper Cylinder lubricant is what I've been experimenting with. It's been my thought this type of additive is already present in gasolines made today reagrdless of the brand cuz it's part of the federal government mandated requirments. Adding additional lubricants to the upper cylinder sounds good to me as a backup. To NOW constantly put in a TOP TIER gasoline every week in not an option from my book. Gasoline average here is STILL about $3.45/gallon. You think that's high? Then you know how I feel on the subject.:) Arco gasoline is what I usually use now a days regardless of what some people feel about this gas.

Durango
usa2.gif

Techron is a good cleaner, but not intended as a constant treatment. Lucas is a better constant.

I view it like this, use Lucas in every tank at recommended doses to limit whatever deposits that may build up. And then run Techron every 3-6 months to make sure your engine stays clean.

psudaytona,

What you stated is the way I'm thinking at this time. I reread the instructions off the bottle regarding the dosage of Lucas to add every fill-up and unfortunately it states nothing about dosages at all. Reagrdless I have a large bottle and a small one to measure about 4 ounces every tank so that's the direction in which to head for now.

Take care,

Durango

I too run Lucas Fuel Treatment in every tank @ the rate of between 2 - 2.5 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline and use Techron about every 4,000 miles or so.

"Recommended dosage is 2-3 ounces of Fuel Treatment per 10 gallons of fuel."
Try various concentrations and see if you can notice any difference.

Yeah the bottle says something like 5.25oz - treats up to 25gals (about 2oz/10gal), then the quart 32oz bottle - treats up to 100gals (about 3oz/10gal), but their website is where I got the above quote.

I refill the small 5.25 bottle with about 4oz, then just dump it in prior to refueling, which is usually 12-14gals.

Quote:

psudaytona,

What you stated is the way I'm thinking at this time. I reread the instructions off the bottle regarding the dosage of Lucas to add every fill-up and unfortunately it states nothing about dosages at all. Reagrdless I have a large bottle and a small one to measure about 4 ounces every tank so that's the direction in which to head for now.

Take care,

Durango

Lucas sorta helped with making this confusion with their recommended dosage levels.

Small 5.25oz bottle says
"Treats up to 25 gallons..."
So 5.25oz of lucas will treat 3200oz(128*25) of fuel.
Large 32oz bottle says
"treats 100 gallons"
So 32oz treats 12,800oz(128*100) of fuel.
5.25/3200 = .0016
32/12800 = .0025
OR look at it this way.
Small 1oz of lucas will treat 4.76 gallons
Large 1oz of lucas will treat 3.125 gallons
It works out in the range given by lucas(2.1 - 3.2 oz per 10 gallons) but makes the whole "perfect dose" notion pretty tough. Sometimes you just have to play with dosage until your engine hits its sweet spot with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back