Smell coolant under hood, but no obvious leaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing a smell of hot coolant coming from somewhere under the hood of my 96 Sunfire 2.2 I don't see any obvious signs of a coolant leak, nor does the coolant level seem to be dropping by any amount. I do occasionally see drip spots on the ground but I can't tell if they're oil, coolant or some other fluid. The car has very nearly 300,000 kms, but I'm not sure of the motor. When I bought it last year, the previous owner told me he had the motor replaced with a used one (I assume) a few years prior, and at the time I was buying it he told me he thought the headgasket was starting to leak. Maybe now it really is starting to leak?

Go see a mechanic with the tools to locate your problem, a pressure test with dye, looking under the oil fill cap, the dipstick and an educated look around the rest of your engine. Popping a coolant leak while running down the road is one good way to tank you engine.

if you can't tell if drops on the ground are oil, coolant or some other fluid, i highly recommend you take it to a mechanic and don't go beyond pumping your own gas.

Quote:

if you can't tell if drops on the ground are oil, coolant or some other fluid, i highly recommend you take it to a mechanic and don't go beyond pumping your own gas.

confused.gif
dunno.gif

Maybe there is a pin hole radiator leak that is leaking enough to create a smell, but not so much it is easily seen? I'd pick up some coolant dye and see if that makes the leak visible.

Look at the bottom of the water pump. There should be a hole right in the center where the shaft is. If you see a trace of wetness, then the water pump bearing is going. They leak out that hole when the bearing goes. Not sure why, but I was told this in the '70s when I was a kid and right now my wife's Aerostar has exactly that problem. Going in next week to the shop.

They are. Check for wetness around where the head mates to the block, typically back side close to the ignition coilpacks.

Engine coolant is very volatile; meaning it will give off vapours very easily when exposed to air.

I kept smelling coolant in my car for about a week. I looked all over the place for the source of a leak. After about a week, I finally spotted this orange gel forming right where the thermostat housing meets the engine block.

It was actually seeping out and drying to a gel before it had a chance to drip. While it was drying though, I was smelling the vapours. It only takes a tiny bit to alert your nose. I replaced the thermostat gasket and the issue was solved.

Quote:

I was totally with you on this reaction, Rob, but I think he could also check his own tire pressure.

I have a 2000 Saturn SC2 that had that symptom at 60,000 miles. My low coolant light would come on, I could smell it but never saw it. Intake Gasket. 300 dollars later i was fixed and have had no issues since now at 163,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back