Pentosin Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with this oil? What Group? Which is better, the 0/30 or 5/40 for a BMW motor? Or Lubromoly?
I know that Pentosin is OEM for many products, hydraulic fluid, ATF, etc.
Thanks!
smile.gif

Pentosin Engine Oils

What year BMW? They have an LL-01 oil and 2 LL-98 oils.
My old boss used the 5W40 full-syn in his MB CLK430, it seemed like good stuff. The full-synthetic oils should be GrpIV/V, HC-synthetic = GrpIII.

If you can set up a commercial(?) account www.worldpac.com sells Pentosin for cheap.

Here in Hawaii it's tough to bring anything in at a reasonable price so need to go through local warehouse.
Looks like their PentoSpeed are the better oils.
Putting this into 97 528i and M3. Both have just been treated with AutoRx.
Correct me if I'm wrong but looks like the 5/40 is a Group III from the spec sheet? Or am I reading it wrong?
By the way, thanks for the link. Been only looking at the CRP link that is the US distributor.

Quote:

also, www.partsquick.com sells it too with free shipping after 40 or 50 bucks. You can't search for Pentosin though, just search for different grades of oil and it will come up with it.

____! You're right about the shipping. I contacted them and sure enough, if I meet the minimum order requirement they'll ship to Hawaii for FREE!!! YAY!
banana.gif

Now I'm kinda torn, do I go with a 0w/40 or the 5w/40? The specs on the Pentosynth 5w/40 seems like it's only a group III?

5W40 should be fine for both your cars. It'll probably be slightly thicker than the 0W40.
I don't see Pentosin 0W40. Lubro-Moly 0W40? Using in our '01 530i, seems great.
www.interautopartssd.com also sells L-M

I think, just going by the pour and flash points, Pentosynth 5W-40 VS is GrpIV/V and Pento High Performance 5W-40 is GrpIII.

For off-the-shelf oils you might want to try Mobil 1 5W40 or Shell Rotella 5W40 syn (from Walmart). Castrol 5W40? It's on sale at Autozone. I'll mix a couple qts with 5L L-M.

Quote:

For off-the-shelf oils you might want to try Mobil 1 5W40 or Shell Rotella 5W40 syn (from Walmart). Castrol 5W40? It's on sale at Autozone. I'll mix a couple qts with 5L L-M.

This might seem silly but the thing that scares me away from the Shell Rotella oil is the price! WalMart sells it for so little!
laugh.gif

Quote:

5W40 should be fine for both your cars. It'll probably be slightly thicker than the 0W40.

I think, just going by the pour and flash points, Pentosynth 5W-40 VS is GrpIV/V and Pento High Performance 5W-40 is GrpIII.

question: what was it about the pour and flash points that make you feel one is a grp4/5 and the other a grp 3? Reason I ask is that I'm trying to see if the oil I bought the other day is a grp 3/4/5 etc...

Quote:

Pento High is one of the latest oils introduced into the American Market. High stands from Hydro-crack. It only meets the Group 3 spec. The only current Group IV/V oils from Pentosin are 0w30 and 5w30.

I believe both Pentosin PentoSpeed 0W-30 and Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30 are group IV. These two are BMW LL-01 ACEA A3 B3 with the API SL GF3 rating.

Any oil with the single BMW Long Life (LL-01) ACEA A3 B3 are to be Group IV or V. The newer superseded BMW LL-04 ACEA A3 B3 C3 can be Group III, IV, or V. The newer spec may be API SM GF4 rated.

Bowser

Pentosin Engine Oil
(voll) Full-synthetic = Grp IV and/or V
HC-synthetic = Hydro-Cracked, Grp III
That's the easy way to tell
wink.gif

In Europe a full-synthetic can't use hydrocracked basestocks, but that's not how it is in the states as most full-synthetics are Grp III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back