Fuel Power Poor at Cleaning Intake Valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the old FP on my 2000 Honda VFR (800cc/V4) engine. Previously using the old Amsoil PI as a maintenance dose, a look down the throttle bodies showed shining clean intake valve necks in the head. This spring, the inspection showed some really dirty, deposited intake valve stems. I used some Power Foam and Amsoil new PI in two tanks of gas, and now they are clean again. Thus, after a season on FP, the valves were not kept clean like on the PI. I'm wondering if my switch to FP from PI in my cars also had the same negative effects. Betcha it did!! I'm not convinced anymore that the FP is a good intake (valve) cleaner compared to the other "labelled" fuel system cleaners.

I looked that bike up here

web page

It states that it is a direct injection engine. FP isn't going to see the intake because it is squirted directly into the cylinder. Sounds like you need a new air cleaner, or you have a K&N and have the same problem I have with my Harley.

cheers.gif

Quote:

I looked that bike up here

web page

It states that it is a direct injection engine. FP isn't going to see the intake because it is squirted directly into the cylinder. Sounds like you need a new air cleaner, or you have a K&N and have the same problem I have with my Harley.

If the crankcase is vented into the intake (as it is with a Harley), FP vapors (or from any fuel additive) in the blowby will hit the intake valves.

Quote:

If the crankcase is vented into the intake (as it is with a Harley), FP vapors (or from any fuel additive) in the blowby will hit the intake valves.

Wouldn't that be VERY minimal though? Maybe I underestimate how much blow-by there actually is.

Last edited:
Direct injection - I know what it technically means but, based on this, it is not "direct injected." I has four fuel injectors, one per cylinder. Each is located right under the individual throttle body and before the port that connects to the intake port in the head. Pretty much exactly like a car - gas gets injected into the port right on top of the intake valve stem. The crankcase is vented to the airbox through "reed" valves but this venting would also gum-up the throttle bodies, and they where dead clean. I've always used the same oil. The only change is using the FP over the PI. I did add a dosing of the new Amsoil PI and after just one tank, the valves remained clean/cleaner than after I manually cleaned them with Power Foam. I still believe that the FP didn't maintain the cleanliness of my intake valves when compared to the old Amsoil PI.

Quote:

Direct injection - I know what it technically means but, based on this, it is not "direct injected." I has four fuel injectors, one per cylinder. Each is located right under the individual throttle body and before the port that connects to the intake port in the head. Pretty much exactly like a car - gas gets injected into the port right on top of the intake valve stem. The crankcase is vented to the airbox through "reed" valves but this venting would also gum-up the throttle bodies, and they where dead clean. I've always used the same oil. The only change is using the FP over the PI. I did add a dosing of the new Amsoil PI and after just one tank, the valves remained clean/cleaner than after I manually cleaned them with Power Foam. I still believe that the FP didn't maintain the cleanliness of my intake valves when compared to the old Amsoil PI.

Hmm, what you described doesn't sound like direct injection to me either. You mean to tell me that some random website on the internet is wrong?!?
grin.gif

Thanks for sharing the info. I use FP3000 too, but I can't really say I have seen it do anything good or bad except that it seems to be a decent fuel stabilizer in my motorcycles. I did have a drop in MPG when I stopped using it on ONE tank, but I don't think that is conclusive to say the least.

Personally, I would not consider FP as a replacement for a detergent.

It would be interesting to know if you can see a similar difference between FP and a detergent on the exhaust side.

I imagine that FP, being a perpetual treatment, wouldn't serve all engines under all circumstances at the recommended dosages. It's hard to compare it to an aggressive shock dosage of PI, Regane, etc.

I'm an Amsoil rep, and surely want you to use Amsoil products, but to be fair to FP, I'd attempt a treat rate that's double the recommended dosage of FP ..up until you reach the cost equivalency of any other agent. As with everything ..YMMV
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back