Oil for VW 2.0T??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into getting an 07 GTI....I've read and read, and still can't decide if there is a concensus on which oil to use in the car. Some say Syntec 5-40, others 5-50, and still others say Amsoil 5-40.

Any thoughts??

I would appreciate it!

How about following the manufacturer's requirements?
tongue.gif

Thanks...
smirk.gif
I know the rec. is 5-40. Just wondering if any certain brand, etc is suggested over another.

Thanks

If the official recommendation by VW is simply "5W-40" and nothing else, I will eat my hat.

Wow...we are making this into something bigger than it needs to be. Of course it mandates a VW 502 oil.

If the spec is still VW 502 you are looking at Syntec 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 (NOT the 5W-30!). There are others, but these are the easiest to get. To paraphrase BTLew81 and moribundman, don't over think it. Any oil with the proper VW spec with work--and if it does not have the spec it won't. So don't worry about 5W-this or 0W-that, just VW 5xx

Quote:

If the spec is still VW 502 you are looking at Syntec 5W-40 or Mobil 1 0W-40 (NOT the 5W-30!). There are others, but these are the easiest to get. To paraphrase BTLew81 and moribundman, don't over think it. Any oil with the proper VW spec with work--and if it does not have the spec it won't. So don't worry about 5W-this or 0W-that, just VW 5xx

Apology to BTLew81, I just realized that you started the thread which in turn changes the context of your last post (and the thread).

Must read more slowly.

It's going to be another "best VW 502 oil" thread.

Are there any fuel dilution issues with the 2.0T FSI engine?

Quote:

Looking into getting an 07 GTI....I've read and read, and still can't decide if there is a concensus on which oil to use in the car. Some say Syntec 5-40, others 5-50, and still others say Amsoil 5-40.

Any thoughts??

I would appreciate it!

I don't think there is enough data on the 2.0T for most people here to make an intelligent recommendation. The few reports that do exist make me nervous as there seems to be fuel dilution with high wear. My gut tells me using the right oil is pretty critical in these engines if you want to keep it for 10 years. In that case, I'd consult a pro like Terry. But if you don't, then go with a VW502 oil that is easy to get (M1 0w-40, Syntec 5w-40, Synpower 5w-40 from Napa) and call it a day.

Im not sure if any other than Syntec 5W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 have actually been submitted to VW for approval. I would make sure whatever I use is actually on the VW approved list. Not just claimed to meet the specs by the oil manufacturer.

Once its out of warranty there are some pretty good oils that will work and dont even claim to meet the spec... Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 and Mobil TurboDiesel Truck (Delvac 1) come to mind. However I would not use anything that would give VW an excuse if you have a failure under warranty.

Syntec 5-40 and Mobil fo meet spec if I remember right. I guess I will probably end up going with the Syntec and running shorter intervals like 7.5K. I read some issues with fuel dilution, and I just want to cover my bases.

Thanks.

+1 on what "moribundman" said. There is a VW document available listing all the oils that meet the spec (502.whatever) required by your engine. Select an oil from that document, and you'll be fine.

The dealer is very emphatic about using nothing but Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic in our SAAB wagon. So I do it.

Fuel dilution is a big problem in these engines which is killer on oil and wear. I would run no longer than 5K miles on even the long drain synthetics. Until something better can be found for this engine, I'd use M1 0W-40. I have not seen an oil analysis report yet for this engine that I liked, so I don't know what oil really gets the job done right. I'm still waiting for it to appear. I bet M1 5W-40 TDT would do better than most but it is not an approved oil.

I'd be willing to go with something non-approved. Honestly, I know something like a Rotella or TDT would work better. So..let me know what you would sugges that is NON APPROVED.

Quote:

I'd be willing to go with something non-approved. Honestly, I know something like a Rotella or TDT would work better. So..let me know what you would sugges that is NON APPROVED.

Don’t do it.

When the 1.8T sludge issue came to the surface VW backed the engine pretty well with an extended warranty. But only IF the owner could document compliance with the recommended OCI and only IF from that point on approved oils were used. It is a pretty safe bet that in the future any significant engine warranty claims will need to be backed up by documentation of proper service with proper fluids.

Besides the VW 502 oils are pretty good.

I was using M1 0W-40 in my '06 GTI with the 2.0T-FSI engine. Did the first change at 3,000 miles and put the M1 in. I use 5K mile oil changes. At my last change at 18K miles I put in PP 5W-40 Euro. No real reason other than to try something else. Spoken like a true BITOG member!

I had one UOA done at 8K miles and it showed high fuel dilution and somewhat high iron.

So as mentioned by others this engine appears to be hard on oil. I would venture that all engines with direct injection (new BMW twin turbo, Audi V6's and V8's and of course VW's 2.0T) are going to have high fuel dilution issues.

So for now I will use 5K OCI's and hope for the best. I agree that thw M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel oil would probably be a super oil. But for now I will stick with VW rated oils until we see a few UOA's on the M1 5W-40 product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back