Newbie VW Passat 1.8T oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pal

2000 VW Passat SW 1.8t 5spd
71K miles mostly short stop/go city but gets a reasonable highway drive once every week or two.
I've tried to glean the "right path" from all the data on this and other sites, but it gets hard ferreting it out.
Would like advice on where to go and if I am doing the right thing...
Purchased auto with 48K with dealer oil changes documented. I immediately did AutoRx engine clean-out procedure.
After a couple misc. oils have run German Castrol (0w-30 bought in Toronto at ridiculous US $8.5 p/qt)for last 20K miles. Put a little bit of Auto Rx in every other oil change. Changed oil at 4K mile intervals. I now have one more change with your favorite GC.
I cannot locate GC easily nor do I wish to pay $8-9 for it.
Here are basic ?'s
1)Can I go longer on oil change intervals?
- 4k seems a little short for expensive oil, but I figured city driving and cheap insurance. You are the pro's though, so if I can extend my intervals, I'd like to know.
2) Are there any other oil "superstars" I can use?
- I seem to hear conflicting positions. Thinner oil for new, tight tolerance engines, narrow turbo oil lines, but mysteriously 5-40w seems to be reccommended for VW1.8T and other Euro engines. Reading between and over the lines it seems Pennzoil Platinum and the new Amsoil 0-20 are emergent favorites in lieu of elusive GC. Can I use these in my engine? Pennzoil website say virtually nothing and they've yet to respond to my inquiry. PP has a 5-30w and a 5-30w Euro w/no info on difference. They also have a 0-20 that looks intriquing... Conversation with Amsoil tech said they only reccomend their Amsoil 5-40 Euro for VW1.8T, but their own data and other sites seem to suggest the Amsoil 5-30 extended life would work and very likely their new 0-20.
3) Would an oil analysis be worthwhile or am I paranoic?

200K mi. on last VW 4cyl.(no turbo), would like similar from this one.
Please advise
Thanks for the help!

1) Isn't 5,000 miles what VW is now recommending along with their approved synthetic oil's?

2) I use M1 0W-40 in my 2000 1.8T for no other reason that I can easily locate it around town.

3) While it can't hurt I personally don't feel that it would be cost effective unless you were using a non-approved oil or pushing the distance between oil change intervals.

I have an Audi 1.8T. I just switched it to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 European Formula. Mine is a 2001 TT 225 QR. It seems the engine runs smoother with this oil. Not as expensive as other oils but it is a good oil for this application.

cheers.gif

Quote:

I have an Audi 1.8T. I just switched it to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-40 European Formula. Mine is a 2001 TT 225 QR. It seems the engine runs smoother with this oil. Not as expensive as other oils but it is a good oil for this application.

cheers.gif

Where are you finding the Platinum 5w-40?

I'll second the Mobil 1 0W-40 and 5000 miles suggestion. I believe this oil is on the VW/Audi approved oil list.

Also, I doubt you need auto-rx in this engine since you got it at such an early age.

Quote:

1) Isn't 5,000 miles what VW is now recommending along with their approved synthetic oil's?

2) I use M1 0W-40 in my 2000 1.8T for no other reason that I can easily locate it around town.

3) While it can't hurt I personally don't feel that it would be cost effective unless you were using a non-approved oil or pushing the distance between oil change intervals.

Thanks for the responses.
I was able to locate Mobil1 0w-40 on sale for $5 qt. at PepBoys and will use factory filter changing at 4-5K intervals.
Surprisingly difficult to find VW approved oil.
Pennzoil Platinum 5-40 European is a myth or only real on paper. Pennzoil/Shell help desk were clueless as were both distributors for the Baltimore/Washington DC area. No-one had heard of it or knew how to get it!@!#$%%$^
It seems as if the Oil co's have decided to let Mobil 1 have the German auto market (VW,BMW,Mercedes) for individual oil purchase market.
Amsoil 5-40 Euro looks good but @$7.50 plus travel/shipping isn't worth it for 5K OCI's.

Quote:

Thanks for the responses.
I was able to locate Mobil1 0w-40 on sale for $5 qt. at PepBoys and will use factory filter changing at 4-5K intervals.
Surprisingly difficult to find VW approved oil.
Pennzoil Platinum 5-40 European is a myth or only real on paper. Pennzoil/Shell help desk were clueless as were both distributors for the Baltimore/Washington DC area. No-one had heard of it or knew how to get it!@!#$%%$^
It seems as if the Oil co's have decided to let Mobil 1 have the German auto market (VW,BMW,Mercedes) for individual oil purchase market.
Amsoil 5-40 Euro looks good but @$7.50 plus travel/shipping isn't worth it for 5K OCI's.

Maybe look for the castrol equivalents.... castrol USA grades

i was running the valvoline 5/40 when i had my 1.8T - kragens just had it for .99 after a rebate. when i had the vw the best deal was buy 4 get 1 free, i bought 4 years worth of the stuff and i still have a quart remaining.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is the way to go right now.

Or at least it is so for me, because everybody else either discontinued their oils that meet VW 502 00 or make them impossible to find.

Just a quick run down:
Pennzoil 5w-40/ 5w-30 Euro Formula: Never seen either.
Valvoline 5w-40: Kragen discontinued it and the only other place I have ever seen it was NAPA, but I dont feel like driving to the store when I can get Mobil 1 within walking distance.
Syntec 0w-30 (German Castrol: Discontinued around my area, and apparently around other areas as well.
Syntec 5w-40: Same price as Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 has 503 01 approval.
Kendall 5w-40: Not sold to customer through tires plus. They will put it in for you in an oil change, but you cannot buy it over the counter.
Mobil 1: Found almost everywhere.

Ther are other approved oils that can be looked up on the VW website, but most of them you will have to order online (Motul, Elf).

Texaco, Havoline, 76 also have approved oils, I just have never seen any of them.

Stick with Mobil 1 and the OEM filter and 5000 OCIs. Make sure you get the big oil filter for the Passat (the B version), but most dealerships should sell you that one anyways.

Ya I was said already, PP Euro if you can get it, Mobil 0w40, Syntec 5w40, and even GC 0w30.

Synpower also works but I'm not a huge fan of it. I think Castrol & Mobil are better.

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but it's amazing to me how people will toss out recommendations without any evidence to back up the recommendations. There is not a single report on PP and yet it appears to be the new "hot" oil, just like M1 and GC were. I guess each dog has its day. There is a very good discussion of 1.8T oils in a thread started by JAG in the Euro oils section. The answer to the original poster's question is not that simple.

Every VW dealer ive worked at has used Castrol Syntec 5w-40
As for the filter use whatever you wish but get the larger one listed. OEM filters are very good but can get expensive at times depending on location. Syntec 5w-40 Syntec is now being carried by most Auto Zones and AAP locations as well.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is approved for your VW. It's easy to get, and not extravagantly priced. Why use anything else?
Our '04 SAAB 9-5 has a Mobil 1 sticker right under the hood, and the dealer's service manager is unequivocal about putting nothing but the M1 0W-40 in the SAAB's 2.3T engine (even though they don't get to do it; I do my own oil changes). My reading around this blog and other sources seems to confirm that full synthetic oil that conforms to the manufacturer's recommendations is best for small-displacement 4-cylinder turbocharged engines. I would never do anything else, as even synthetic oil and 5K OCIs is dirt cheap compared to $6500 and up for a replacement engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back