How do they get away with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
- they should have their driver's license revoked for one year on the spot
- they should have to go to court for reckless driving/endangerment of the public/breaking traffic laws
- they should have to pay a heavy fine and go to jail for at least a few weeks
- they should not be allowed to ride a bike or ATV for a minimum of 5 years even after getting their license back
- their riding equipment should be impounded and auctioned off (profits should go to victims of drunk and reckless drivers)

No idea why you can't legally tool around on your own or on public land as long as you do not violate any local or state laws.

Quote:

No idea why you can't legally tool around on your own or on public land as long as you do not violate any local or state laws.

Because it's against the law to ride on your own property if you don't own 40 acres or more.

You can truck your stuff out to the desert where it's legal but thats a big hassle. Nuthin like returning to your truck after a days ride to find the windows broken out or it torched.

around my town its legal to ride atv's on the streets with some restrictions, speed, no riding at night etc.

actually i just dragraced some kid on a honda 400ex with my honda crv half hour ago and i lost :\

do i ever see kids riding through heavy traffic pulling wheelies? nope. all the atv's stick to the side roads becauee here the cops WILL chase you down if you break the rules and its very hard to evade them. not many people suceed.

i can admit there days when i go tool around for a few hours burning gas on my banshee, theres days when its full throttle and full brakes.
as long as one is sensible about it, not many problems come up.

but these jokers in cali. why does cali have all the weridos? i wouldnt even WANT to ride an atv or dirtbike on blacktop streets going that fast through traffic. maybe a gsxr would be nice, but a dirtbike? heck n o. thats just stupid.

The issue with bikes and ATVs down here is the lack of third party insurance.

Can ride all you like in public, but it must be registered and insured.

Private property, and it's all yours, unless you are upsetting the neighbours, or under the influence of alcohol.

Rules don't stop the two strokers doing mono's out the front of my house 'though.

Quote:

Quote:

Because it's against the law to ride on your own property if you don't own 40 acres or more.

That's not really a reason! Noise considerations might be though.
dunno.gif

It's difficult to stop every stupid person from doing stupid things, especially in a situation where you'd need a helicopter to catch them. If the cost of enforcement is higher than the cost of damage being done to the property of others, then it's probably not worth it. I wouldn't care much if I saw them ripping down the street. But if one ended up under my car, I would certainly be very angry about the damage to my car.

Here is part of the law. City and county land is considered private property.

"The new ordinance prohibits the riding of off-road vehicles on public streets and right-of-ways and prohibits riding on private property without the written permission of the land owner. Riders are also not allowed to operate a vehicle within 200 yards of an occupied building. Certain exemptions do apply such as those relating to farm vehicles. Violators will have their vehicles seized and forfeited."

Here's the plan. You close the public lands and push everyone off into a small atv park. After a couple years you go to the park and take dramatic pictures of the atrocious land damage caused by bikes "in the desert". Make no mention that the pics came from a overused park that you forced them into. Use said pics to get more public land closed. Don't laugh it's being done.

Quote:

Quote:

Chris, do you live in suburbia?

No. I live in the desert. Most lots are 5 acres. Mines 10. Takes me 10 min to get to a paved street.

http://applevalleycalifornia.net/local-tours.html

That's what I thought. As long as you are not annoying your neighbors or doing harm to some endangered lichen or thistle, I believe you should be allowed to do what you want on your land. But hey, I don't make the rules.

Quote:

Here's the plan. You close the public lands and push everyone off into a small atv park. After a couple years you go to the park and take dramatic pictures of the atrocious land damage caused by bikes "in the desert". Make no mention that the pics came from a overused park that you forced them into. Use said pics to get more public land closed. Don't laugh it's being done.

I second tom slick, wileyE is spot on!

I work in Chris142's alley here in Apple Valley. I'm on the 18 freeway (east) off the I-15 freeway.

Here there is a lot of open space as we're on the edge of town. Lot of dirt bike riders and a lot of cops - never saw a dirt bike rider get caught though. However, I've had several dart in front of me over the road to get to the other side. When you're going 60mph, its hard to stop for something like that.

Other than that, I hate sucking all their dust into the air filter whenever they're driving about next to the road.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back