Help me with tires, 94 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I bought a 94 honda accord LX, and im looking to replace all 4 tires. I drive mostly highway, 15,000 or so miles a year, so im looking for something cheap in the long run.

B J's has michelin x radials for around $70-$80 each mounted, i've heard these are good tires and it seems like a fair price for a 80,000 mile tire.

Walmart has uniroyal tigerpaws for $61 each mounted, 80,000 mile tires too, also made by michelin, but are they as good as the xradials? And how is walmart with tires?

Pepboys has a buy 3 get 1 free deal, with it's hankook mileage plus, a 85,000 tire. How do these perform? And does anyone have any experience with pepboys and tires?

Any other advice or options/opinions are appreciated. Thanks

I would love to try the Hankook's. These look like nice tires as I have checked them out on my last visit to PB's. The "buy 3 get 1 free" is a great deal IMHO. The Michelin X radial were at one time, CR's top rated tire and Honda's seem to like Michelin. My Honda's seem to ride better and track more comfortably on the highway while using Michelin,(pricy) tires as compared to other tires. Michelin's may not handle as agressivly as some other tires but, they're not terrable either. I beleive Hankook is a Korean tire Mfg like Kumho, if Im not mistaken, which seems to be getting very good reviews lately[Kumho]. Tiger Paws are decent tires these days as compared to what they used to be,(junk). I like the "buy 3 get 1 free" at PB's. I've done the math for my own vehicles and this is the way that I would go. Good luck.

Be careful with the buy 3 get 1 free since it's probably a mail-in rebate & some folks have had problems with Pep Boys & their rebate offers.
I suggest looking at Tire Rack at their ratings although Consumer Reports may give you some decent ideas of where to start.

I used to have Hankook Mileage Plus GT's and they were awesome. I drove them hard for 2 years (mostly city driving) and they still had plenty of tread, and were used before I even bought them. They have great ratings too. I'd recommend those.

Thanks for the input, I went to pepboys, and while they seem the most cost effective (the hankook), two things disuaded me. First, was the big "MADE IN CHINA" lettering printed on the sidewall. Second, was the rubber was rock hard, so I can see how they got that 85,000 mile warranty.

Im probally going to get the x radials, they were rated top in consumer reports like said above, and my sister has them on her car and they're very sticky.

I had the Hankook's on my Intrepid. lasted 41,000 miles. The warranty of 80,000. They would not honor because I only rotated them twice.

I think any tire with an 80k or 85k mile warrantee is going to have a hard compound that compromises grip and/or comfort. If you're only doing 15k a year the tire will probably die of old age first anyway.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather give up a little of that mileage for a better performing tire like a Bridgestone Potenza G009.

Walmart's uniroyals are probably the tigerpaw touring. I have one and it seems pretty nice.

The WM TLE near me is actually professional, if that helps.

Quote:

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
Michelin HydroEdge

ditto!

Going cheaper, Id look at dunlop sport A2.

Ive had great success with the pirelli p6 all seasons which came OE on my saab, though they are rated poorly on tirerack, they seem to do great by me!

JMH

I looked at BJs, the x radials are $82 a tire, dont know if that includes valve stems or not, but it does include mounting an balancing.

I was also looking at walmart again, the goodyear comfortreds would be about $5 more a tire mounted, balanced and valve stems. Any experience with these tires? From what I hear they're comfortable and quiet, have a good tread life, have great traction, but some people have had problems with belt slippage and balancing.

Well I bought the x radials, all four were installed in under 30 minutes, paid $350, and they ride smoothly. Im satisfied enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back