Tour De Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for the annual Tour De Cure tomorrow morning. We'll leave Columbia around 8 and hopefullt get into St George around 2 p.m. (opting for the century route on day 1). With the group we have, we should average around 18 mph hopefully!

Day two is a 75 mile ride from St George to Charleston. I've done similiar rides (MS 150) so I'm really looking forward to this one. We need the rain but I'm hoping the forecast is wrong this time (atleast wait until well into the afternoon)!

Day one:

Started out overcast. Nice and dry...until about mile 30 (of 102). We were averaging almost 21-22 mph through about mile 88 (remaining riders cranked it to 24+). Of course we stopped a couple of times for water and such. Between the rain coming down and the rooster tail coming from the rider in front of you, visibility was almost nada. I got shelled off the back around mile 90, found my comfort zone, and a buddy who also got shelled, and rode in. I got water IN my computer so it shut down and I couldn't get a proper average but my educated guess was 19.5 for 102 miles.

Day two:

66.4 mile route started in drizzle. It stopped for a few and then the skys kind of opened up. REALLY stunk for about 10-20 miles. Our group was WAY up there this time. Although I dried my computer on day one, I had to borrow someone else's wheel measurement. It took me about 100 ft to figure out it was wrong (By that number, we did 106 miles @ 34.5 mph!). I am guessing that we were in the 22-24 mph range for most of the day. The winds picked up significantly late morning and a right hand turn into an open field literally split the group in two with the first gust. I would estimate wind gusts in the 25-35 range.

Over all numbers were 168 miles @ 20.5 mph which isn't bad for a two day event with the weather conditions we experienced. Train tracks claimed a few riders but all injuries were relatively minor. Our group only had one flat (due to a pot hole) which is awesome for the cumulative miles involved. Good time for a great cause and I highly recommend finding one in your area!

Thanks for the update. I like big group rides (even though I'm mainly a Triathlete), but not for much more than a couple of hours. Too much longer, and people begin to get a bit sloppy. Now, with 3-4 other riders...I'll ride with a small group like that all day. Too bad for the rain, but, think of all the people that sat inside all day instead!

Here's a photo from the beginning of the ride. I'll let you guys guess which one is me!

teampic1.jpg

Nope. That guy is a hammer and loves riding in the rain. Go figure. I'm the one second from left with the blue gloves.

It's only been a few weeks but I'm ready to do that ride again.

I assumed the far right fellow took the picture, just because it would make the most sense that he hit the timer and got back into the frame. I also assumed the owner of the camera would start the timer. This is also assuming the picture wasn't taken by a Sixth person!
That's what you get when you assume....

Second guy on the right's wife was holding the camera! Besides, I'm not talented enough to figure out the timer feature on mine!
smile.gif

I lucked out, too. My wife looks so much like one of the Victoria's Secret models, my daughter asked why Mommy was on the front of the underwear magazine. I guess if Lyle Lovett could get Julia Roberts, there's hope for us all....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back