redline and easy driven cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Redline and racing question :

Who are the front runners using Redline in Nascar Racing ? I pick this type of motorsport racing to ask about since it is obviously pretty demanding on an engine and it's oil .

Next up :

Formula cars . Who's using Redline ?

Answer to NASCAR- 74% Mobil 1

F1- Various but not much RL from what I've read.
Shell uses a synthetic blend of Grp III/PAO/Ester

I think RL is fine and won't harm your engine, but it's just not worth it when you can get as good or better results with other oils as Molekule stated.

Whew!
shocked.gif
Marty came across as an informed person, but turned into someone spoiling for a fight.

Don't be discouraged MolaKule, I and others appreciate the time that you and learned others spend on this forum trying to teach us heathens about oil.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Redline and racing question :

Who are the front runners using Redline in Nascar Racing ? I pick this type of motorsport racing to ask about since it is obviously pretty demanding on an engine and it's oil .

Next up :

Formula cars . Who's using Redline ?

Answer to NASCAR- 74% Mobil 1

Mobil 1 is "the official oil of NASCAR". Do these teams get contingency money from Mobil? Also is it the same Mobil 1 that everyone buys at Walmart and Pepboys? What is the difference betwteen standard 0W30 Mobil 1 and their racing 0W30? I'm not basing Mobil 1 as it is a good oil and I use it on occasion, however I am truly curious about their racing oils as I have a car I may want to use this product in. Thanks.

quote:

What is the difference betwteen standard 0W30 Mobil 1 and their racing 0W30? I'm not basing Mobil 1 as it is a good oil and I use it on occasion, however I am truly curious about their racing oils as I have a car I may want to use this product in. Thanks

Mobil 1 is officially used by 74% of NASCAR as of 2003. No it is not the same oil we buy, it's Mobil 1 R and other viscosities. They qualify with a 0w-5 oil. Rusty Wallace said this and George Morrison can confirm it. Mobil 1 R is a PAO/Ester oil with a lot of ZDDP.

If you believe what Shell says, then the F1 Ferrari team uses a Grp III/PAO/Ester blend.

IMHO, I thought that was a great debate. I'm not saying that some tempers didn't flare a bit, but I received much ruder comments from one of you moderators. How ya' goin' to know how the big dog is gonna' perform in a scrape unless he has to get off the porch once in awhile.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

Mobil 1 R is a PAO/Ester oil with a lot of ZDDP.

If you believe what Shell says, then the F1 Ferrari team uses a Grp III/PAO/Ester blend.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. Approximately what is ratio of PAO to Ester in Mobil 1 R? Also what is ZDDP.....Zinc, Phosphorus??

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
IMHO, I thought that was a great debate.

The poster who claimed RL doesn’t handle water well and RL attacks seals did so without facts.

I won’t argue that “in general PEOs have problems with water and seals” based on some information you can find on the internet. However, that doesn’t mean you have factual data that shows Redline oil is a poor choice for engine oil in some conditions.

I am open to the possibility that Redline oil has some problems. I just haven’t seen much credible evidence other than my ’88 CRX dripping with it when it didn’t before.

As someone here once said, “In God we trust, all others bring data”.

quote:

IMHO, I thought that was a great debate. I'm not saying that some tempers didn't flare a bit, but I received much ruder comments from one of you moderators.

I re-read all three pages, and while I'm going out on a limb here, I support Marty!!!!

Tempers flared, but he had a bunch of good knowledge and the information to back it up...just because he got in a little p***ing match with a BiTOG "elder" you moderators go and ban him?

How are you guys trying to run this board? In some other universe where everyone lives in utopia and nobody challenges anyone else or calls someone else out? Marty didn't do anything that bad...I believe he just challenged someone who is a moderator’s friend, so he had to go...heck, if I hadn't contributed a little money to the site, the moderators would have probably already banned me as well because of what I've said and who I've ticked off.

In comparison to other message boards (where people actually communicate as they do in real life), Marty was being very civil and just putting up a good challenge.

If the "mighty moderators" keep my post up, I'll be very surprised (and happy)!

Now watch me get banned!

Rant over...
mad.gif

[ August 04, 2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

One can debate/discuss a subject as long and hard as you want to.When a member crosses the line and gets personal,that's when the moderators will step in.Making a smart-azz comment to a mod when he's trying to help the board shows no respect.

Jelly:When a member abuses the PM function of the board,that's when that privilege is removed.

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
Jelly:When a member abuses the PM function of the board,that's when that privilege is removed.

First off, I don't believe I abused anything.

Second, I don't have any moderators e-mail addresses (accept Tony who is out of town) so I can't communicate with anyone to discuss my "infraction"!

Can you please e-mail me or at least restore my PM "priviliges" for awhile so we can discuss this?

quote:

I haven't talked to anyone at Hatco in years. When it was Emery Industries it formulated a synthetic, Frigid Go. It was a diester.

The quote from Mobil is old hat. They do use a polyolester in many of their products, called TME. Maybe you could discuss the chemistry of TME and enlighten us.

Hatco makes about 8 diesters and 35 polyolesters (some mon-esters, some tri-esters, some more complex esters, etc), which are used in many gear lube and motor oil formulations.

Many polyolesters are used in refrigeration systems, as well as PAO and poly glycol ether esters.

quote:

Given that the laws of physics are similar at Hatco to the Universe in general, I assume they'd outline the same costs, benefits, and downsides I have.

And this statement means what?

quote:

The seal manufacturers and the manufacturers of polyolester base stocks say otherwise.

Begin with:

http://www.ultracheminc.com/comp.htm

The point I am making is I all I see are links to formulators or blenders, and other than the old Mobil quote (most likely not made by a Mobil chemist, but someone in marketing) does not support your statements.

[ August 04, 2004, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

I haven't talked to anyone at Hatco in years. When it was Emery Industries it formulated a synthetic, Frigid Go. It was a diester.

The quote from Mobil is old hat. They do use a polyolester in many of their products, called TME. Maybe you could discuss the chemistry of TME and enlighten us.

Hatco makes about 8 diesters and 35 polyolesters (some mon-esters, some tri-esters, some more complex esters, etc), which are used in many gear lube and motor oil formulations.

Many polyolesters are used in refrigeration systems, as well as PAO and poly glycol ether esters.

quote:

Given that the laws of physics are similar at Hatco to the Universe in general, I assume they'd outline the same costs, benefits, and downsides I have.

And this statement means what?

quote:

The seal manufacturers and the manufacturers of polyolester base stocks say otherwise.

Begin with:

http://www.ultracheminc.com/comp.htm

The point I am making is I all I see are links to formulators or blenders, and other than the old Mobil quote (most likely not made by a Mobil chemist, but someone in marketing) does not support your statements.

good a person supporting PEs in an automotive appliction!

Thanks, rugerman1, once again I get PM I can't respond to. I guess I'll have to wait to the boss gets back from vacation and send him the PMs.

quote:

satterfi:

quote:

IMHO, I thought that was a great debate.

The poster who claimed RL doesn’t handle water well and RL attacks seals did so without facts.

You may want to reread the thread. I've been working through his numerous citations and it looks like he was doing a pretty good job of making his point and supporting it. One of the SAE papers he cited makes almost the same points about polyol esters.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Reid:
You may want to reread the thread. I've been working through his numerous citations and it looks like he was doing a pretty good job of making his point and supporting it. One of the SAE papers he cited makes almost the same points about polyol esters.

I agree some esters are dessicants. I agree some esters attack some elastomers.

To me that raises questions about Redline but those facts don't support a statement like "Redline oil absorbs water and attacks seals".

That would be like claiming all alcohols are flammable because the ones we are familiar with are flammable.

quote:

satterfi:

To me that raises questions about Redline but those facts don't support a statement like "Redline oil absorbs water and attacks seals".

I didn't read the statement "Redline oil absorbs water and attacks seals" anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back