S&W Sigma series - opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? Local shop just took in a used stainless steel 9mm, was thinking of getting it for a first-timer's pistol for my fiance because the price is right. Everything I read online seems to indicate they are mediocre quality.

Thanks for all input!

I'd not recommend one.

Shot the older ones quite a bit and always thought that they were a bad copy of Glock.

Poor trigger, alot of ejection problems with the ones (9mm 40cal) that I shot.

If you want a good dependable lower cost weapon, I'd suggest a P89 Ruger. Well under $400 incl tax with 2 15round mags in this area.

Simple, Strong, well made and accurate.

Take care, Bill

On the other hand...just for the sake of argument....Its reliable, its light, and it will still handle more rounds than she will ever put though it.

If the fiance' is not that checked out on guns: I'd suggest a S&W .38 featherweight revolver. And really though I have difficulty with a woman being capable of defending herself without serious training.

Since you seem not that really well versed (don't take offense) on firearms you might want her just to carry one without the necessary training-bc you want it. This may have more minuses than positives

Leave it to S&W to be the company to copy the most reliable pistol ever made and turn it into a mediocre piece of junk.

Get your wife a Tanfoglio Witness or CZ 75. They're excellent guns with good triggers and she will be happier with the way she can shoot one of those than she could be with the Sigma.

Al,

I admit I am not as well-versed as I probably should be; I've got 13 years Army National Guard and 7 years city police under my belt, but I am not a real gun nut and basically only know how to use my service weapons and the couple of long guns I have.

Believe me, this woman wants to carry something, she became a gun nut as soon as she laid eyes on my AR15! She is wise about the world and realistic and wants something for personal protection.

A friend of mine is a former US Army Ranger firearms instructor and is going to give her lessons once we find something she likes. Went shopping today and she liked the Walther PPK, I believe it's in .380. Will go look more tomorrow.

Thanks to you all, leaning away from the Sigma!!!

Quote:

Al,

I admit I am not as well-versed as I probably should be; I've got 13 years Army National Guard and 7 years city police under my belt
Believe me, this woman wants to carry something,

I really apologize..my bad. And thanks for your service.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

I see the "Macho Men" that think their women should carry and be a part of their alter ego. Again..obviously not you.

Al

Try the S&W M&P pistol, it gets rave reviews, shoots well, and has mild recoil. Also, try a CZ SP-01 if you can find one. Nice little 9mm pistol.

One thing to consider is her arm strength. I have a S&W 9mm and a Colt .380, and the 9mm takes more muscle to work the slide. Might be tough for a small female to handle in a defensive situation.

A .380 is a nice carry weapon, small and easy to point, and almost as effective as a 9mm. As was stated, the .38 revolver is also reliable, simple, and makes a good carry weapon for a lady.
Not intending to be sexist here, just realistic.

Quote:

One thing to consider is her arm strength. I have a S&W 9mm and a Colt .380, and the 9mm takes more muscle to work the slide.
Not intending to be sexist here, just realistic.

True, my daughter can't even remove the clip from a .380 sigma. You have to squeeze the removal latch pretty hard.

As far as a 1911 Colt...Most women probably could not rack the slide. I used to keep the .45 on my night stand with no rounds in the chamber bc I just don't like the 1911 cocked and locked. (That's just me). But from a deep sleep..don't know if I would have the strength.
smile.gif

Now I keep the S&W 3913 (DA first round)with a round in and the safety on.

BTW check out the S&W 3913. Great chick gun.
smile.gif

Stick with a good revolver... the Smith's are over-priced right now... it'll cost you 400 bucks for a decent 5 shot snubby. Too much, considering that the Taurus is every bit as good.

Don't get a lightweight revolver. It'll recoil too harshly and she'll not like that. Follow up shots can be difficult with a light gun.

This Taurus http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=293&category=Revolver

850B.jpg

would be the best bet.

Advantages:

Price should be right around 300 dollars, maybe even less.

Heavy enough to absorb recoil of the .38 special round.

Rubber grips absorb recoil and make the gun more comfortable to hold and shoot.

Must be fired double action, so the possibility of cocking the hammer and accidentally firing the gun is nil.

Since there is no exposed hammer, it clears pockets and purses smoothly with no snags.

Totally reliable, natch, it's a revolver.

Black finish will not gleam and attract attention if she needs to have it ready in a darkened vehicle.

No safety to worry about, just point and pull the trigger.

You never have to ask yourself "Is there a round in the chamber?"

No buttons to accidentally push in the heat of a stressful situation and find out you've mistakenly dropped the magazine from the pistol, rendering it either inoperative or a single shot at best (depending on model).

Easy to carry in a purse or glove box.

Will operate just fine, even if fired from inside a purse or coat pocket (semi-autos and hammered revolvers may not).

Lifetime warranty...

And it's purdy.
laugh.gif

This is an easy decision. Just realize that a gun is a tool, and the tool which is best for any job is the one which works and is easiest to use. The .38 snub revolver has never gone out of fashion because it works.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm totally right about this. So listen to me.
laugh.gif

Dan

Quote:

Stick with a good revolver... the Smith's are over-priced right now... it'll cost you 400 bucks for a decent 5 shot snubby. Too much, considering that the Taurus is every bit as good.

That is quite far from the truth. Taurus revolvers are ok if you can't afford a S&W or Ruger but they are not "every bit as good" by any stretch of the imagination.

Read some longevity tests... they actually are. Fit and finish are quite good on the Taurus guns. I have one Taurus revolver and 5 Smiths... I'm not bashing S&W by any stretch, just pointing out what the consensus is in the industry.

The current S&W's area looking pretty good... I bought a 638 the other day and was lucky to find it for 375 dollars, tax and all. It's tight, and there are no problems with it--other than the non-sensical safety lock they have embedded into the left side of the frame.

The Smith & Wesson will retain its value better over the years, but the Taurus will serve just as well.

Dan

Please link to a longevity test for the made in brazil revolvers you speak of. I have been invovled in firarms for over 20 years and have never saw a longevity test on taurus revolvers.

Gun Tests has done some pretty heavy shooting with the various Taurus models. You can't get their publications online, but they have determined several times over that the quality of the Taurus revolver is top notch. Not saying it's better than Smith, just that there isn't as much difference as one would think.

Now.
smile.gif
Let's not derail the thread...
blush.gif

Dan

Quote:

the Smith's are over-priced right now... it'll cost you 400 bucks for a decent 5 shot snubby. Too much, considering that the Taurus is every bit as good.

Don't get a lightweight revolver. It'll recoil too harshly and she'll not like that. Follow up shots can be difficult with a light gun.

The Tarus protector series is 400 bucks for the steel snubby,

And to me the 25 oz of the steel vs the lightweight alloy at 15 oz. is a deal killer.

Update!! After trying many different autos and revolvers (the Walther PPK looked like a sure bet for a couple days there), she picked up a lightly used S&W 3913 Ladysmith in 9mm with two sets of Pachmayer grips, two mags, and a case for $440.

Thanks to all for steering us away from the Sigma junk!

Quote:

she picked up a lightly used S&W 3913 Ladysmith in 9mm with two sets of Pachmayer grips, two mags, and a case for $440.

Wow..you might be the first person on this board to take my advice on anything.
laugh.gif
. I can't imagine a better choice. Its a great gun. If I go hiking in the boonies, I keep the .380 Sigma in my Pocket and the 3914 (basically same gun) is my backup in my backpack.

If you have not yet field stripped it yet...Be very careful when engaging the spring assembly with the notch in the barrel during assembly. Its a lose cannon. Wear eye protection.

I have two Sigmas in my battery and for what it is their fantastic for reliability. Mine never malfunctioned no matter how fast I pulled the trigger. Here in earthquake country it a great emergency pistol by ones side.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back