Recommended weight for VW - PDX, Autocross?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 86 VW Golf with a 2.0l swap that sees some street time, mostly autocross and I'm aiming to try a few track days this summer. It has a later model 2.0 with a solid lifter head. The car runs in 'normal' temp range as long as it's moving but heats up quite fast when it's hot out if I'm at idle, ie between autocross runs or in traffic, for very long; I will be upgrading to a cooler [180] thermostat this summer.
I think we have whatever dino 10w30 oil was extra in the garage in the car now to break it in, it's ready for an oil change now and I wanted to do it up right this time. So I'm looking for recommendations as far as what weight is going to offer the most protection at higher temps? I was just going to go with Royal Purple, I have their multigrade in my daily driver, unless there's a better suggestion?
Any help appreciated!
Thanks, Lauren

Lauren,
Check out the following link for a local-to-me VW run by a man named Kirk Knestis.
http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/

I know Kirk and in a 20 minute DE session he got the oil in his 2.0 8v (which I assume is what you have) well over 300°. I think that whatever brand you chose, make sure it is a good synthetic. There are people here who are far more technically savvy than I am, but I look for an oil with an HTHS score of 4 or more.

At first don't worry about the oil if you pick a good name brand and don't have temp gauge. Kirk is experienced and fast. If you are just starting out, you will be using far less of gas pedal and thus generating much less heat than he does. Have fun, be safe and be aware that your first hit on the track pipe is unlikely to be your last.

300*F!!! Time for an oil cooler!

I'm thinking 30wt is too thin. 40wt synthetic should be in fine. +100*F temps and you might want to try a 50wt like M1 or Castrol Syntec.
IMO, Rotella syn + VSOT, Redline, Motul > RP. I've used RP 5W30 and it doesnb't seem like anything "special".

My neighbor insists on running M1 10W30 in his dohc A2 Golf "racecar". He's now on his second "built" engine. I think he just likes wasting $$$$ on forged pistons b/c he's only running 10:1 compression. I've tried talking to him about thicker oils and his best response was, "That's what we use at the VW dealership." My response was, "WHAT!!! You know that VW specs thicker oils for the TDI's and turbo engines." His reply, "Huh? Well that's what we use."
I stopped talking to him after that, it hurts my head too much.

Quote:

I stopped talking to him after that, it hurts my head too much.

Haha yeah, some people are just too smart for their own good [til it breaks, then it's someone else's fault]

I'll give the 40wt a try, I guess straight 40 for the summer is fine, shouldn't need multi-grade?
And is Rotella cheaper than RP, also is it something I can buy at most auto parts places? [I've honestly never looked]

Thanks!
banana.gif

Quote:

Haha yeah, some people are just too smart for their own good [til it breaks, then it's someone else's fault]

OR they finally listen but won't acknowledge you enlighten them. The thought somehow dawned on them.

'Shewt, why do i keep blowing so many engines?'
'Hey, maybe you should use a thicker oil'
'HEY! I know! maybe i'll use a thicker grade oil!'
crushedcar.gif

Quote:

I'll give the 40wt a try, I guess straight 40 for the summer is fine, shouldn't need multi-grade?
And is Rotella cheaper than RP, also is it something I can buy at most auto parts places? [I've honestly never looked]

I'm not a fan of straight-weight oils, I'd try dino 15W40 or syn 5W40 HDEO (diesel truck oil).
But what's you oil pressure like at 300*F? You might need a 50wt?

Rotella 5W40 syn is ~$16/gal at Walmart. M1 5W40 is ~$24/5qts. Both are good deals.
RP is about $7/qt at Napa and Pepboys (Walmart stocked it for a minute) but I don't know if they carry the 10W40.

You might want to look in the Additives or VOA forums for "VSOT", it's Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment. Pepboys and Napa sell it for $5-6.
1-2oz/qt of engine oil will bump up your moly, zinc, phosphorus (and calcium?) a fair amount. And it'll thicken your oil a little bit. That might help to lower your oil temps (less friction) and your oil should last a little longer too.

See if Purolator makes a Pure-One oil filter for your car? Pepboys carries them, they're like a budget M1 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back