GC on '07 Taco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due for an oil change and I heard about the GC oil as being thick. I was wondering if it's good to use in the summer on my '07 Taco (6-speed; mileage: 7000Km). I found some GC oil in Canadian Tire and some Maxlife synthetic, and also Penzoil platinum-- $24 for a jug (I think). Any thoughts from the oil gurus here? Thanks.

You put GC on your taco?
laugh.gif

What does Toyota call for? 5w20 or 5w30?

The 07 Tacoma manual calls for 5w30, at 5k OCI's. It also states that if 5w30 is not available, 10w30 can be used, but should be replaced as soon as possible. I use Mobil 1 T&SUV in my 07 Tacoma, with a Toyota filter. I am setting on over 80qts of GC, but still bought and used Mobil 1 for at least the warranty period.

dunno.gif
I'd definately use it if you have it sitting there. Wont hurt, but may cost you 1-2 mpg due to the thickness of it -- its a thick 30wt. I think I'm gonna try PP next fill in both of my vehicles. (04 Taco, 06 Suzi Forenza)

Do you have the 4 or six cylinder engine? I'm guessing the 6 since the 4 specs 5w-20. Also the manual says if you use 10w-30 it should be changed out at the next oil change not ASAP. I think the GC would be great for the 6 and plan to use it in my 07 Taco that has 900miles once it's broken in. There are several UOAs available on this engine if you search that showed great results. Check the Tundra and 4runner results also since they are also available with the 1GR-FE engine.

In the the comments I've seen in my searches there wasn't much MPG drop, probably since the engine is powerful and doesn't get great milage anyway. I certainly don't expect 5-10% which is what 1-2 MPG would be.

Good luck with what you decide, and let us know how it goes.

Quote:

Do you have the 4 or six cylinder engine?

Yes, I do have a 6 cylinder .
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I went with the regular Penzoil 10W30 because it was a good deal. It was on sale for $2.39. I want to try this oil this summer, see what kind of uoa I get. Then I'll change it to Penzoil platinum 5W30 (which was also on sale) for winter.

Quote:

In the the comments I've seen in my searches there wasn't much MPG drop, probably since the engine is powerful and doesn't get great milage anyway. I certainly don't expect 5-10% which is what 1-2 MPG would be.

Mileage wise, I'm not expecting alot. I knew when I bought this truck, it wasn't going to be like a toyota yaris.

Use away.

The engine sounds and runs great. Here are the UOA results from my 2005 V6.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=0#Post803752

I can tell you that you will see a drop in mpg. I was getting around 16 mpg regularly for the past 1.5 years. I just started a ARx cycle with 5W-30 GTX and I've been getting 18.5 mpg during the 1,500 mile clean phase. Just started the rinse phase on Saturday.

Another relevant note, if anything I was driving harder ad reving higher with the ARx and I still got a 2.5 mpg boost.

Can't argue with the UOA numbers but at $3.30+ a gallon here in the states, it's a tough thing to continue to ignore.

I just put some green in my 2006 4 cyl Tocoma 4x4 xcab and did a 500 mile freeway trip .I did not notice a drop in mpgs . The truck ran real good .Ford testing mentions something in the .01 or something like that when going from a 30 wt to a 20 wt I am to lazy to do a search. Try it and see how you like it. Won't hurt anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back