Toyota RAV4...coolant...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Toyota RAV4 will be needing a coolant flush in the near future. I have no problems or leaks. I do have green fluid in the radiator, and I thought it was supposed to be red or pink. Any ideas? Should I switch to the Toyota Super Long Life Coolant? or just Toyota Long Life Coolant? (Yes, there is a differece)

did you buy the car used ?....
if so maybe the orig owner changed the coolant to green ?

my 02 rav has red coolant in it from the factory.

I've been using the red since new. It is easy to change on my truck and a good thing too since it is recommended every couple years. If it is harder for you or you just don't like to change it so often, then the pink is fine too, albeit more expensive. The japanese don't like the silicates, so if you go aftermarket, a silicate-free coolant would work best.

My $0.02 on coolants is never monkey with them, it just isn't the worth it. Many have had successes with switching to American coolants but I for one have had a bitter experience.

My take on coolants is the difference between Japanese OEM vs American OTC coolants is huge as demanded by the price difference. Remember in most Japanese vehicles reading thou owners' manual is they are ONLY particular about coolants, all other they give you a choice like oils, gears fluids, ATFs (except Honda which their sloppy history in a past few years) etc.

Why monkey with one thing that the Japanese seem to be so particlar about? In the case of my Maxima, the difference in price between OEM/OTC fluids is $8 dollars.

Quote:

I've been using the red since new. It is easy to change on my truck and a good thing too since it is recommended every couple years. If it is harder for you or you just don't like to change it so often, then the pink is fine too, albeit more expensive. The japanese don't like the silicates, so if you go aftermarket, a silicate-free coolant would work best.

Ive never changed out coolant is it really that easy?

A flush is necessary to change the majority of the fluid (I don't think you really get all of it unless you putit on a machine). A simple drain and refill with the same coolant is very easy, just a simple drain valve to turn.

Quote:

For your Taco, it says in the manual every 2 years or 30K miles. If your at 71K and haven't changed it yet, I would definately do it asap, and again when you have the timing belt changed along with the water pump at the 90k interval in the manual.

I let the dealer flush and replace my coolant. Unless you have a 50gal drum lying around to store the drained and flushed stuff, its much easier to let the dealer handle it IMO.
driving.gif

Quote:

My Tundra is easy. Draining from the radiator and the two engine drains gives me the full capacity of the system. Since I am going back with the same fluid (the Toyota red), no flush is necessary. I just fill back up with 50/50 coolant and water. I am guessing a Tacoma would be just as easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back