2006 BMW 325 with FP3000, highest mileage EVER !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put in FP3000 into my friends 2006 BMW 325 with about 40K miles. He has used it mainly for driving on the freeways of Southern California and long distance driving across states.

He was a tad skeptical about putting in a non-namebrand additive. I told him that FP3000 was only available in small single gallon quantities AFTER drum quantities of fleet orders are fullfilled. That made him feel better.

His absolute best mileage that he has seen previous to FP3000 was 28 mpg. After driving and tracking the mileage with BMW's built in computer for 50 miles on the freeways of downtown Los Angeles he saw 29.7 mpg. He was absolutely floored. BMW's EPA highway rating is 30 mpg, he was disappointed that he was so far from that but now he is creeping up on it.

He thinks his peak mileage could have climbed to over 30 mpg but he got stopped by the typical Los Angeles freeway stop and go.

The trip was to the Star Wars convention.
fruit.gif

"So he isn't up to the factory mileage yet?"

Not yet, the Los Angeles Star Wars convention was only last night.

28 in LA freeway mileage with high speeds and slow-downs is excellent. I believe that epa's highway mileage caluclations/tests are mostly open road freeway at legal speeds with only a little slower driving.

Most BMWs get higher than epa in optimum freeway conditions. For example mine was epa 25 highway and I get 27-28 at 29 mph steady speed with cruise on freeway. Slow to 65 and I see 30-31 mph. Just my observations. When I was using FP60 (ranout) I believe I was getting perhaps 1/2 to 1 mpg more on the freeway.

Russell, the epa tests aren't even at highway speeds. I think they are done at an average of something like 48 mph, and the speed is varied, with accelerations. You could look it up, if you care to. Every car I've ever had got better than epa highway mileage, and I usually go 8-9 mph above posted limits on interstates.

I find that often when going through a valley a tail wind can really increase my fuel economy
smile.gif
Its a funny thing.

Ill be courious to see if and when that stuff can be order on their site. Since using FP60 for the last two years and havent noticed anything.

BMW on board computers (OBC) are fairly accurate. There was 1/2 mile per gallon difference with mine and the old fashioned way. IMO, the OBC is good enough. Mne has two individual measurement capabilities. I check tank mileage with one and check individual MPG situations for chuckles.

BMW OBCs also have a calibration offset you can program in so that you can get it bang on, if you wish to bother. Usually that's in the test mode of the OBC for those that are curious.

The EPA is such a #@$%! agency sometimes...TDI's should not be included in their revisions because they do not suffer from the same fate as regular engines with EPA ratings.

That site seems so skewed. It says with my combination of 75 highway/25 city driving habits I should only be getting 21-29 but I get 31-36 in my car -shrugs- that's even with my occasional lead foot and some stop and go.

Last edited:
My friend that has the BMW (automatic tranny) just called my to tell me that his mileage is now at 34 mpg!!!! Higher than he has ever seen. He now wants to know when I will be placing another FP3000 order so he can get a gallon also.

note: 30 mpg is its old EPA hyw rating. 25 mpg is its new EPA hyw rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back