sniper

Status
Not open for further replies.
it looked like a great study. plus even snipers will tell you thats almost impossible. the scope has a variation of optics and sizes inside the scope alone that will mess the tragectory of the bullet. if that really happened there would be pics to prove it. just to even boast the marine reputation.. come on, its common sense

Mythbusters did get a round to penetrate all the way though the scope, you had to watch the episode all the way to the end. I don't remember them testing a .22 or .17 though.

I believe Mythbusters is going to be revisiting that myth since the scope they tried to shoot through was completely different than the one typically found on the kind of gun Hathcock was up against.

I think that the British War Museum has a .303 Enfield with an enemy round that hit and lodged in the barrel.

Either the Gunny and others who testified that they saw the rifle with the shot out scope are liars, or they aren't.

The rifle and scope is available for viewing in the Marine Corp Musiem if memory serves me right. It is easy to shoot 1 MOA with a custom made rifle at close range. Many factory rifles will shoot 1 MOA out to 400-600 meters. A rifle built for tactical competitions will usualy be certifed by the gunsmith that built it to shoot less .25-.50 MOA at 100 meters. Benchrest guns need to be even more accurate then that. Long range shooting is a combination of science and skill.Usualy amunition variation and shooter's lack of consistency is what makes for poor accuracy.

Their are some PDA type device that will take temp,humidity,wind speed,angle,altitude,barametric pressure spin deflection and cordinate on the earth and will calculate come-up/hold etc......

In the pinko comunist ultra liberal Republic of California you are now limited to a maximum bore diameter of .416 so people are simply barreling new rifles to a bore diameter of .416 no big deal since that has been a popular diameter for big game hunter that freq. Africa for a long time. THe difference is that they are now takeing a .50BMG round and necking it down to .416 so they are effectively just as powerful as the parent cartridge .50 BMG.The law like many is all public circus and does nothing to make anyone any safer. I sure it bought someone some votes though.

The M2 that Carlos used was a standard issue M2 the only thing he did to it was support it and weight it down with sandbags for stability.

Quote:

In the pinko comunist ultra liberal Republic of California you are now limited to a maximum bore diameter of .416

Anything smaller than a 155 mm howitzer is a child's toy.

Well I have to differ their with you on that mori, but hay to each their own. I think their are plenty of shell's smaller then 155mm that are deadly as heck. their are plenty of rounds useing depleted uranium,shape charges, or thermite that range from 25mm to 105mm that are great or were great against all manner of targets!!! I used to live about 2 mile from a range that was regulary used for artilery and anti-armor rocket both for training and testing. To make it even worse I lived at the top of a hill. My house shock all the time. So the airborn troops woke me up for school at 4AM and the howitzers put me to sleep at night.

Nothing like watching the shock waves move throw the ground when battery's of howitzers are fireing!!! It is like a dirt ocean with waves breaking all around you. Not to mention the shock waves you can see in the air due to the dust and moisture failing out of the air due to the shock waves.

As a matter of fact one of my foundest memories is of a family day live fire event. We had M1 battle tanks,Bradley Fighting Vechiles and A10 Thinder bolts doing a live fire demonstration. The A10's came in right above the pine trees after the tanks and fighting vechiles had finished. For a kid in middle school/JR. High it was like a little slice of paradise!

Quote:

Well I have to differ their with you on that mori, but hay to each their own.

Well, sarcasm is a foreign word.
wink.gif

mori, I figured you were an Artilery nut! Nothing wrong with that if ever we meet I make sure to yell at you. I would not want you to miss anything!

The story is true. The unit received an American decoration as they were attached to an American command at the time (I believe). The video is bogus, as stated. I know where the sniper teams come from and why they are so dang good at what they do...

John.

I was in a nuclear capable artillery battalion when in the Army. M109 Howitzers. Only a handfull of folks knew anything about the W-48 rounds...which were housed many miles away from our unit. These specially trained folks would head out to the upload to retrieve these rounds every time we went on alert, be it training or for real.
I was told that in the early 80's we had approx. 500 artillery battalions that were capable of firing these W-48 and W-33 rounds. Although I figured the story was actually that we had 500 of these rounds available total.

Btw...I have fired, on several occasions, the M2 50cal.
I could care less what "myth busters" says...if the round hits someones scope, it is good night Irene!

Quote:

I was in a nuclear capable artillery battalion when in the Army. M109 Howitzers. Only a handfull of folks knew anything about the W-48 rounds...which were housed many miles away from our unit. These specially trained folks would head out to the upload to retrieve these rounds every time we went on alert, be it training or for real.
I was told that in the early 80's we had approx. 500 artillery battalions that were capable of firing these W-48 and W-33 rounds. Although I figured the story was actually that we had 500 of these rounds available total.

Btw...I have fired, on several occasions, the M2 50cal.
I could care less what "myth busters" says...if the round hits someones scope, it is good night Irene!

I was one of the guys with the flaming p!ss pot on my hat that maintained and delivered the 8" & 155's to the Cannon Cockers.

We had plenty of rounds for everybody at the depots located at a number of places in country.

Of course, those were a couple of the "small" rounds we carried in the day. Only the SADM was smaller, but it was hand-delivered.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In the pinko comunist ultra liberal Republic of California you are now limited to a maximum bore diameter of .416

Hmmm, in our unit, even the 155mm was just a toy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-31_Pershing

As much as any other factor, the deployment of the advanced Pershing systems to Europe contributed significantly to the ending of the cold war.

That, and a bunch of 20-somethings outnumbered ten to one, sitting with the 155, 8", Lance, Nike-Hercules, Pershing and MADM all tee'd up just waiting for the Warsaw Pact to roll across the border.

They didn't have the air power to knock us all out, and it just wasn't going to be worth it for us to send up the balloons.

All those systems are gone now, but they were sure worth their cost.
patriot.gif

I was an Air Force brat, and in the late 1960s was at March AFB where SAC had a couple of squadrons of B52s. The housing area was outside of the base proper, next to an old depot area and also next to the 'dump'. Once in awhile a convoy would move slowly from the dump to the base, armed troops in jeeps ahead and behind, armed troops in trucks, mounted machineguns, and some trucks carrying things. It must have been important things with all of the security and care in movement.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, in our unit, even the 155mm was just a toy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-31_Pershing

As much as any other factor, the deployment of the advanced Pershing systems to Europe contributed significantly to the ending of the cold war.

That, and a bunch of 20-somethings outnumbered ten to one, sitting with the 155, 8", Lance, Nike-Hercules, Pershing and MADM all tee'd up just waiting for the Warsaw Pact to roll across the border.

They didn't have the air power to knock us all out, and it just wasn't going to be worth it for us to send up the balloons.

All those systems are gone now, but they were sure worth their cost.
patriot.gif

Amen soldier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back