Air/Oil Separator for Subaru STi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post in this forum. Great place and love the tech'. Anyway track season is here and we are looking for a viable A/I Separator for our 04 STi. Crawford makes one...a real nice one that is Subaru specific and well engineered BUT it costs 360$ Uh huh. Waaay TOO MUCH for a simple device IMO. I found a Moroso at Summit for 95$ and a Jegs for 45$. They all look like the same thing> hoses in/hoses out. I'm not sure if these will work with a forced induction motor though.We want to recirculate the oil back into the block for sure and not vent it. Ideas? thanks Danielle

The thing to watch is that the reservoir may not be compatible with synthetic oils and, after a while, as the oils starts 'eating up' the plastic, you'll see the walls becoming cloudy. IIRC, there will be a sticker on most filters with a statement to that fact.

Do you think oil would eat the foam in that second separator?

Try googling for "air oil separator". They're common on airplanes and diesel trucks. I've even seen a few sites that show you how to make one. Here's a how-to for a Sube.

An oil catch can isn't an air/oil separator. And you'll get better ring seal if you have the intake drawing air out of the can (after the oil has been removed).

i have one of the ones made from an air compressor system filter. so far it has been good with a year and a half of service on it, with synthetic oil. thats about 30000 miles for me.

i believe you want to make sure you have a check valve as to not send boost up into the valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back