Need advice for Silverado transmission pan removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to drop the transmission pan in my '02 Silverado so I can change the filter. Can anyone who has done this clue me in as to how to remove the shift cable bracket? I can't drop the pan until the bracket has been removed because it's in the way.

Also, the exhaust system may be in the way of the pan clearing. When I had the trans shop do mine, they had to loosen the exhaust pipe to get the pan off. It will drop down but hit the pipe.

Mine is a 2004 GMC E. Cab 4x4 5.3L, so if yours is same, More work involved. I don't know about the bracket, they did not mention it as being a problem for them. It took about 45 min for them to do the work and that included a 5 min test drive. In and out in 45 min.

Mike,

I wonder if the exhaust pipe has to come off to facilitate the removal of the shift cable bracket? There's about 2.5" of clearance between the pan and pipe which you would think would be enough room to get the pan out? The pan is indented by the pipe, which should help.

The bracket is held on by a couple of T40 torx head bolts that are on top of the transmission. They're difficult to get at and I haven't figured out how I'm going to get them out yet. I'm pretty sure this job is going to take me longer than 45 minutes!!!

Slow and easy on the torx bolts is all I can say. Since you're in Texas, maybe corrosion won't be a problem. I dropped my pan (2001) at around 35,000 without any problems, and put anti-seize on those bolts for next time. Exhaust clearance was not a problem on a 2WD. If your pan has a drain plug, be careful removing it as well. They can be tight from the factory, and a lot of people ruin them on first removal. It seems like I read about somebody prying the bracket aside enough to get the pan out--you might search the Autoforums Silverado board or My Chevy Truck forums for more info.

Good luck.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this job is going to take me longer than 45 minutes!!!

I learned years ago not mess with the Auto trans fluid, its a pita laying on your back and getting splashed with hot ATF. The local trans shop here can do it faster and better. They know all vehicles. The local GM dealer farms most all trans work out to them. The most it ever cost me was the 1 hr labor which is $60.

On another note, be advised there are 2 different trans pans for your year, standard or deep which means 2 different filters. They will not interchange.

I don't know about your particular application but I always disconnect the cooler line from the tran and attach 6 feet of trans hose to the line with the open end in a bucket. I then start the engine and let the trans pump the fluid out of the pan. Leaves about 1/2 quart in the pan and removal is a snap.

I did the transmission for my neighbor's 02 Silverado. I vaguely remember needing to disconnect a bracket. I also remember that I dropped the pan a couple inches without removing the exhaust pipe. I simply slid the old filter out and slid the new one in. I then proceeded to exchange the transmission fluid using the cooler line method. The only thing lost was that I couldn't clean the pan and magnet.

when I did my 2005 tranny, I just bent the bracket with a pry bar. Then after I put it back in, I bent it back. probably not what you wanted to hear, but it worked fine.

Disconnect the shift cable end from the ball-stud, then remove the two bolts securing the shift cable bracket to the transmission. (this allows room to access the pan bolts)

Some reports over at the Silverado message boards suggest it may be advisable to have an experienced mechanic do the first filter change due to the difficulty some have experienced with removing pan bolts.

Frequent mention is made of the "gorilla at the factory" that tightened those bolts so much.

Once those pan bolts have been removed and reinstalled it is supposed to be much easier for the owner to perform the task the next time.

Some folks say they had to remove a bracket while others say they were able to carefully bend it out of the way.

Numerous reports of severe trouble untightening the pan bolts so take care.

Thanks for all the advice. It's definitely the deep pan and it is a 4wd if that makes a difference. I broke a cheap little plastic ratchet last night trying to get the Torx head bolts out. It was the only thing I had that would fit up in there. I'll have to get something more heavy duty yet still small enough to get the job done. I would hate to bend the bracket and then have it not shift right afterwards. I'm tempted to take it somewhere and have it done but I've already bought the filter kit and ATF. Good thing I've got a 3-day weekend coming up to tackle this task!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back