AG 0.0
ZN 01
CA 5297
CR 01
PI 0.3
VS 15.2
ph/tbn 14.4
H20 05590

While sitting in the cab of this motor I discovered a "French contractor's " locomotive data folder. Browsing through this I discovered the oil analysis sheet there were about 30 analysis of this locomotive. I thought members here would be interested to see a UOA from a diesel-electric locomtive.

By the way of all the analysis I noticed the highest level
calcium was 5667ppm while cst ranged from 15.2 to 13.6.

I have asked machinists what brand of oil this is and I get different answers. Some say Chevron, some say Shell, others say Mobil. Ahh well... small things...

I'd have to say that it looks very good for an engine that size that is always underload. What is the sump capacity and miles/time on the run?

Sump capcity I believe is 260 gallons, miles on run jeez I dunno but think most of the ac motors are the road about 8000 miles a month with oil added if needed at refueling stops. Sometimes 55 gallons at a time.

I may be wrong but I believe oil is changed every six months so this oil probably was about to be changed and it almost surely had at least 50000 miles on it.

Thanks for the info. I just noticed this is a 2 stroke...is that typical of diesel electrics? And is the fuel lubricious enough or do they have to add a lube to the fuel?

I'm glad I don't have to dispose of 260 gallons of oil!!
tongue.gif
The local Checker might look at me funny!
wink.gif

They do not dispose of it. Most railroads have it cleaned and new additives put in it. Notice there is no zinc or phos in this oil. These engines have silver bearings. The high calcium makes up for the other additives. The Wisconsin Central Railroad recycles all of their oil. Years ago when I worked for the Burlington Northern, the bulk oil in tanks that they would top off with was made by the old Texaco Company, but they had their old oil recycled, cleaned, and new additives put in when they were going to do a complete change.

Considering that the oils have an extremely low VI, the oil probably wears down a bit, but stablizes after a while due to "top-ups".

That is very interesting. It is odd that it is a 2-stroke, though. What RPM does that engine turn normally? What is the max RPM, and what is normal on a long trip?

They are 2-stroke but not like your chain saw. They are still lubricated like a 4-stroke engine. These are low rpm engines. The only thing they are putting power to are large electric motors. These engines have tremendious tourque. The pistions are huge.

Thanks Johnny for your insightful posts, you seem to have a good understanding of the locomotive. The EMD motors are 2-stroke diesel while the GE motors, and by motors I mean locomotives, are 4-stroke V-12s . It would be interesting to compare analysis of the two, unfortunatley the diesel shop I move power at mostly services the EMD motors. Once in a while I move GE's(last night in fact). Maybe I'll get lucky and post another analysis soon. this time from the GE Evolution series locomotive with the 4400hp V-12 made by Caterpillar...

I thought 2-stroke diesels were pretty much abandoned. Are the loco engines comparable to the old detroit 2-stroke diesels? Intake ports on the cylinder wall, and a whole bunch of exhaust valves at the top.

All I can say is kind of. Not exactly but similar. All I ever had anything to do with were the EMD's. I did not work on them, I operated them. I would like to see one of those V-12 Cats. Best job I ever had. I miss being around the big locomotives.

Quote:

That is very interesting. It is odd that it is a 2-stroke, though. What RPM does that engine turn normally? What is the max RPM, and what is normal on a long trip?

Max rpm is 900. Each piston displaces 710 cc.

Quote:

They are 2-stroke but not like your chain saw. They are still lubricated like a 4-stroke engine. These are low rpm engines. The only thing they are putting power to are large electric motors. These engines have tremendious tourque. The pistions are huge.

About 10 inch bore, 10 inch stroke, 4 exhaust valves per cylinder, this means the induction is by ports in the cylinder wall with the cylinders stuffed by a BIG blower, likey a Roots style.

BTW, the engine turns a big alternator which in turn drives the electric traction motors. So, the diesel engine is merely a big portable generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back