Amsoil (Pablo) Sponsoring Hydroplane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsorship coming soon! Boat U17 - unlimited hydroplane. Jet engine, with $40,000 gear box filled with: SVG 75W-90

http://www.ourgangracing.com/

I saw the boat under construction last night. Very cool. These guys are dedicated. 2000+HP at 18,000 RPM. Competition uses Royal Purple and Redline. Gear boxes do grenade.
patriot.gif

Very nice. It's my understanding that Amsoil's gear oils are oustanding. May I ask what oil are you suggesting? 20w-50? Also, have they tried RP or RL? The Marine oil is also very stout.

As I said the SVG gear oil.

They didn't want Redline or Royal Purple, just too much good experience with Amsoil, personal and business. Naturally they are nervous about a LOT of things, including the gear oil for the first time in the box. I suggested we may consider the 75W-110, but for factors I can't openly discuss, 75W-90 is best.

Quote:

Very nice. It's my understanding that Amsoil's gear oils are oustanding. May I ask what oil are you suggesting? 20w-50? Also, have they tried RP or RL? The Marine oil is also very stout.

buster, that won't work, it's a jet engine.

WAY TO GO PABLO
cheers.gif

So they probably run a fully ester based oil like Mobil Jet Oil?

Thanks Johnny!!

Buster - I didn't ask too much about the jet engine (only who the engine builder is), in fact I didn't see it,...the lube may very well be some some standard jet engine oil, dunno. Jet engine oil is a specialized market to be sure, but in 2007 the oil itself isn't all that special anymore.

Don't most the hydroplanes use a turbine engine (not jet) and gear reduction box sourced from retired military helicoptor's?
I'd guess the gear fluid was a mil-spec whatever probably formulated for cold temp capability. These things have been around for decades so the what works and what doesn't shouldn't be too much of a mystery. In boat racing gear reduction box failure and life is probably more a function of problems external to the box itself, not inadequate lubrication.

Last edited:
Pabs, if you take a test run please wear your neck brace!
smile.gif

Congrats but be careful of racing sponsorship, it SUNK Dyson oil inc and Synergyn.

You are technically correct! Using jet as shorthand for turbine engine is not so great.

The box is custom made. Don't think it came from a 'copter.

And yes you are right about failure mode. That's what they said when I asked! Like forgetting to hook up an oil line - yikes!

Quote:

Pabs, if you take a test run please wear your neck brace!
smile.gif

bring some hearing protection too! my neighbor converts small turbines (starter motors) for exp aircraft use. Those lil buggers are loud!

This is very neat. (I know I'm dating myself with "neat" instead of "cool.") Congrats.
thumbsup.gif

Not sure how they are doing it for sure.
All jet engine are Tubine Engines. The only difference is whether or not you use the thrust primarily for propulsion or not.

All Jet (Turbine Engines) have a transmission to drive things like the fuel pump, hydraulics, and what not.

Now the question that remains is how do they drive the final drive. Do the use a free turbine on the back driving a separate gear box or do they drive it from the accessory gear box and just use a large power turbine out back to recover the energy.

Basically what you have is a compressor in front driven by the power turbine out back. You can have multiple stages of this by having two power turbines driving a LP and HP compressor section. One of these will drive the accessory gear box. If you have an over size power turbine (more than needed to drive the standard accessories and compressor to support the engine power output) you can then take power off to drive other things such as a generator or propellor drive system. If you have a free turbine (Not physically attached to the engine, cases might be but the turbine engine will spin independent of the free turbine) then you spin up the jet engine and then the free turbine the takes the thrust/exhaust and convert the heat and pressure energy into rotational energy and then can drive it's own power take off.

FUN Stuff.

I am sure they use some form of a 23699 jet engine oil. Dad has some that comes out BLACK BLACK BLACK and that is the new oil.

very cool boat to sponsor Pabs!!

the original gearbox out of a helicopter wouldn't supply enough RPM for the propeller. a rotor spins at much less then 1000 rpm. I'm not sure that the PTO from the accessory gear box would supply the right RPM either, it might not be designed for transferring that much HP either.

depending on which engine they use it may or may not have a separate power turbine.

btw 2000hp is alot of hp for a boat but it is a tiny for a turbine engine!

tom, work is putting in 4x200,000hp turbines in the next 18 months (neat, but I'm personally against simple cycles for power gen).

Pablo, would you like to swap a few thousand litres of turbine oil for the chance of putting a sticker on a power station ?
smile.gif

Gen sets for peak power production is a reliable, cost effective and is plenty easy enough to find room to get it near where you need the power. So this eliminates major upgrades to the main power distribution lines when an areas peak demand is more than the lines can hold. Win, WIn in a lot of ways.

Everyone wants power just don't produce it by me. Stupid I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back