let's discuss gun lubes in detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
you hear good & bad on all different types of gun lubes- oils, cleaners, solvents, protectants, etc.
but most of what people say is really just their opinion.
I was thinking we should gather up the collective knowledge of the people here and analyze the handful of top tier gun lubes.
I started looking at msds sheets on a few, and it's very interesting. This way, knowing exactly or close to exactly what's in the lube we could put to rest all the marketing embellishments and know what to reasonably expect from a particular lube.
What do you think?

I was hoping in this thread we could name off all the ones we'd want to compare, then in other threads we could discuss in detail a particular lube. Do one thread per lube, titles could be like:
GUN LUBE details: CLP
GUN LUBE details: militec

that way everyone could chime in, hopefully with good info on what the ingredients in the lube are, what properties those ingredients have, and pro's and con's of those ingredients related to gun applications.

The few I would like to look into are

Break Free CLP
Militec-1
Gun Butter
Eezox

It's a nice idea, but most companies that make gun care products are rather secretive about the ingredients. Even MSDS info is obscure. I'd love to know what's in Purple Problem Solver for example, but the company that makes it (Molakule's company) will only give out the most vague information about it. That makes comparison to other products very difficult. It becomes trial and error to see which product performs the best under what conditions.
Industrial products, like Kroil and Penetro-90, are much easier to get useful info on. Which is good because both are quite good on firearms.
Some products I'd like to see info on: FP-10, Clenzoil, and TW-25.

FP-10

TW-25

those were too others I was also interested in.

this is a boring forum, so I don't think anyone will mind if i just start posting.
Some products have data sheets, so good for them. The ones that don't should make you go hmmm, what do they have to hide.

the miltec-1 site offers free samples to police department employees and military personnel. im neither but managed to get a sample.

Anyone use Tetra lube? I love my FP-10, but the tetra lube has been working great for me also.

Tetra works well enough on metal, but it cracked polymer (plastic to most) products that I used it on, like water sprinklers, pruning saws, etc.

That is odd. I have used for a few years on poly Glocks. After cleaning I have always wiped the entire frame down with the tetra lube. I have never had any issues like you described.

I have heard of more than one case of Tetra permanently staining metal, as in corrosion. And these were from different sources.

The MSDS (if you can get one) has a warning about potential nerve damage from over exposure. Not something I want to use.

chart-lubricant.gif

And their marketing is just plain lame. PTFE is the "magic" ingredient.

Hey, I love the arrow heading skyward off the charts...now there's a convicing data sheet

"Muscle firepower" sounds like an after-workout body rubdown

I'm always looking for the ultimate gun lube.
I have Eezox, Gun Butter, Militec-1, FP-10, TW-25B and a few others.
Subjectively, I think Militec-1 offers the best lubrication, but I'd love to get more conclusive evidence of that.
I've seen a few good corrosion tests but that's never been a problem for me. I wish someone could do a good scientific test on these products to test their lubrication performance.

Quote:

I have heard of more than one case of Tetra permanently staining metal, as in corrosion. And these were from different sources.

The MSDS (if you can get one) has a warning about potential nerve damage from over exposure. Not something I want to use.

chart-lubricant.gif

And their marketing is just plain lame. PTFE is the "magic" ingredient.

Perhaps I just stick to the FP-10... Eeeekkk

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html From a Shooting site.

I hope you can just link to it if not copy and paste. You will find it a very informative test between several top name brands.
I have been using breakfree on all my guns for several years. Don't have any more freeze ups during waterfowl hunting. My buddy was using Break-free and didn't see any benefits until I watched him clean his guns. He was not shaking it thus all the "goodstuff" was not mixed.

Ive been using Mobil 1 Syn to lube my arms for 8 years now....absolutly love it. Cheap, effective and if it works well in the extremes of an engine, I figure it will do great in a gun as well.

I am not a fan of "all-in-one" (CLP) products myself.

harrydog,

I've used Ezzox before and found it to be a good solvent/oil to use as an overall cleaner. It's lubricating quialitied has been fine in my book but I wish anyone would sell it in California-Los Angeles. The old metal cans with the pump spray was the best!!! :) Other than than my other is Breakfree with CLP. Goopd enough for any job.

Durango

most gun lubes are repackaged "regular" lubes I make a good one at work for my 45's it has a LOW breakaway torque for cold temps and a high AW/EP load for low wear. PAO based and I like it as a semi fluid iot does not sling off the slide in use. anyone can email me I'll send a 1 ounce bottle BUT I WANT feed back to improve it and NO it is not for sale at all only a fun thing.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back