BG44K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a can of BG44K someone kindly gave me. I have never used the product before.

I have two vehicles I am contemplating using it in (but will only use it in 1 of them).

I am wondering how much gasoline to mix the 11 ounce can with and whether I should use it just before a scheduled oil change.

I have a 1985 Mazda RX7 (13b, fuel injected) that I have owned for 10 years. I doubt that the vehicle has ever seen a fuel additive. It has 129k on the clock and runs well.

I have been told by someone on an RX7 site that using it before an oil change doesn't matter and to only use 1/4 tank of gas and run the tank down. Does this make sense?

The other vehicle in question is a 1995 Maxima (VQ 3.0 litre, fuel injected)with 68k, mostly highway miles, on the clock. I have owned this vehicle since new. The dealership added a fuel additive at about 35k and again at 53k (BG02). I ran Chevron Techron through it about 7,750 miles ago (20 months), just before dumping the oil from an AutoRX clean phase (first-time user) and taking the car through emissions testing. The Maxima runs like a champ and I question the need for using this product at this time.

Any advice would help.

Its a decent cleaner, esp for the [rice you paid for it. I personally would run it with a full tank. Its just solvents from what I can gather about it, nothing too fancy. Its just so stinkin expensive to purchase, considering there are better cleaners for 1/3 the price.

Assuming price isn't a consideration, what are the better cleaners.

Chevron Techron
LubeControl FP60
Gumout Regane
Redline SI-1

What is the hierarchy of these fuel additives?

Based on my own experience I would put Gummout Regane first (be sure to get the clear bottle version).

I would put Chevron Techron next. Techron tends to be more expensive and from personal experience I just do not find it as effective.

I am more impressed with Neutra myself compared to LubeControl. Plus LubeControl has a really powerful smell that I can't handle.

I have never tried the Redline product so I can't comment on it.

I think BG44K is too expensive and too strong probably unless you really have some problems. If it seemed to me I had some plugged up fuel injectors I would be willing to use BG44K and see if it could solve the problems. But I would not use BG44K very often.

Throw it into the tank before filling (so it will mix better).
Drive.
Very good product. If you save the pull tab and give it to your favorite tech at a shop which handles it, he will get a spiff from the sales rep.

You don't have to change oil, change tire air, change diapers or anything else.

Quote:

I have a can of BG44K someone kindly gave me. I have never used the product before.

I have two vehicles I am contemplating using it in (but will only use it in 1 of them).

I am wondering how much gasoline to mix the 11 ounce can with and whether I should use it just before a scheduled oil change.

I have a 1985 Mazda RX7 (13b, fuel injected) that I have owned for 10 years. I doubt that the vehicle has ever seen a fuel additive. It has 129k on the clock and runs well.

I have been told by someone on an RX7 site that using it before an oil change doesn't matter and to only use 1/4 tank of gas and run the tank down. Does this make sense?

The other vehicle in question is a 1995 Maxima (VQ 3.0 litre, fuel injected)with 68k, mostly highway miles, on the clock. I have owned this vehicle since new. The dealership added a fuel additive at about 35k and again at 53k (BG02). I ran Chevron Techron through it about 7,750 miles ago (20 months), just before dumping the oil from an AutoRX clean phase (first-time user) and taking the car through emissions testing. The Maxima runs like a champ and I question the need for using this product at this time.

Any advice would help.

The engine in your Max is about as tough as they come and 300K is just breaking one in with good service habits. The engine does have a couple of problems that a real cleaner like Schaeffer's 131Neutra or Soyshield as well as Amsoil's reformulated gas system cleaner or BG 44K will prevent.
First, the EGR port on the back of the intake is notorious for stopping up. After it does,the only fix will be to remove the valve and manually clean. Second,the throttle bodies will get so gunked up that on a cold morning you may go out to start it and it won't even start. Both of these problems could be minimized or eliminated with the use of a real cleaner like those listed above. Petro Chemical sells akit with the cleaner for the tank combined with a fogger for the complete intake system that really loosens intake system deposits. I have never had acceptable results fom the stuff on the shelf at China Mart. Most of that stuff is designed to convince a soccer mom that she does not need to service her car because the "stuff" will stop the skipping from worn out tune-up components.
I think when results start coming in from Amsoil's reformulated feul system cleaner it will show that it is a good product.
I know first-hand that Schaefer Soyshield or Neutra used systematically will prevent the problems that Maximas experience with deposits in the intake system.
coffeetime.gif

The throttle body on the Maxima was cleaned for the first time 7k ago.

I also replaced an EGR solenoid control valve in December as a result of a code. I knew about problems with the EGR system and changed the part right away as I was concerned there might be repercussions if I delayed.

I have to go through emissions testing in December.

I think I will run the BG44K through the Maxima just prior to that and change the oil.

I might try some Chevron Techron on the RX7.

I am not familiar with Schaefer Soyshield or Neutra and question whether these products arereadily available in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Do stores carry it or are they internet products like AutoRX?

Thanks

Is there any risk of the BG44K fouling the plugs on the Maxima.

They are new NGK laser platinum plugs.

I don't think so. I haven't used BG44K since I stopped going to the Nissan stealer, but they would add it as part of their 15k mile "expanded" service. I didn't have any trouble on mine, even the time when they added the can on an empty tank and didn't tell me. Morons.

Last edited:
I have never had any plug problems after using BG44K. However, since you have some rather expensive plugs in the vehicle you could put the old ones back in to run the BG44K through it, if you wanted to be totally safe.

BG44K is a good product, however, as others have said in this post, it is quite expensive over other products that are just as good. I use it on vehicles that I do not know the history on when I first get them. Other forums, where I originally heard about BG44K, there seemed to be a concensus of not using it more than once a year. IMO I have spent more money than necessary on fuel system and injector cleaners. Once a throttle body cleaning has been done and EGR cleaned along with PCV replaced, etc. maintenance cleaning with one of the mentioned cleaners should be fine every 3-6 months unless there is a question of the quality of gas used, to do it more frequently.

You might want to give the new PI cleaner from Amsoil a try. It has significant amounts of PEA which is what you want to see in a fuel cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back