Fumoto -- Disaster Averted -- Barely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagine that happening on a long trip as the faulty valve allowed the precious oil to drain. What a bad day it would be indeed stranded with a fried engine. Not for me.
whistle.gif

Not trying to knock these things, I can't comment on the quality or how likely this type of thing is to happen, maybe you're just 1 out of 1000 that had a problem, but I just don't see the point in them. A box end wrench or ratchet + one socket is all you're replacing with it, and you can get a box of vinyl gloves for a few bucks that covers dozens of oil changes if you dont like getting oil on yourself.

I see it as just one more thing that MIGHT fail in a critical way and provides little benefit. You've got the jack&stands/ramps and drain pan out already, you have to deal with the oil filter which will likely spill a little anyways, how much trouble is it to bring a wrench?

If you like them, more power to you but you'll never see one on any of my cars.

I use a Fumoto valve, but on a stationary diesel engine that powers a generator. The engine shuts off automatically if the oil level gets low or there's a loss of pressure. Don't think I'll ever use one on a vehicle for all the good reasons mentioned above.

Quote:

Imagine if that happened while crossing the Arizona desert or something! No thanks. How hard is it to remove a drain plug? I can get my hand out of the oil stream quick enough to only get a slight splash of oil on my hand. No biggy. That's what this is made for:
180px-Papertowel.JPG

They make a shorter roll for the guy who has a fumoto failure.......
crackmeup.gif

I've used Fumoto valves on several vehicles totaling well over 100,000 miles and have never seen any leakage. The valves I installed were of excellent quality and I had no qualms about leaving them in place indefinitely. I'd say the OP got the one faulty valve that slipped by QC.

Why would you not use one based on that one story? Buy one, install it, and if you see a leak in the first week or so, Fumoto will send you a new one, post-haste!

As someone who has used Suredrains on MANY cars/trucks with never an issue and now a Fumoto on my new Outback (since I can not find a suredrain) I'd have to say that I'd MUCH rather have a Suredrain device than a Fumoto.

With that being said, so far (2-3 months..) not a single weep and its staying put on the pan. IF I could find a suredrain, I would take off the Fumoto and put it up for sale.

I think the Fumoto is ok, but once you've used the suredrain, the Fumoto is/has issues in my book.

So far, I have not had to try (and hope never to) use their customer service. I feel if I have to, then maybe their product is not for me.
nono.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

You've got the jack&stands/ramps and drain pan out already, you have to deal with the oil filter which will likely spill a little anyways, how much trouble is it to bring a wrench?

I could see a real benefit though if you didn't need to get out the ramps or jackstands, that is on some cars this might be enough to enable you to do the drain without raising the car.

Me the opposite. I used three Sure Drains and am converting to Fumoto as I like them much more. Might prefer the Sure Drain if it had better flow.

Now that this is started, I hope ekpolk can get a response from Fumoto and post it here. If people are going to abandon the idea of using Fumoto on this one incident, I think they should know more about it, regardless of whether it makes them stay with Fumoto or not.

As for me, I will be installing a Fumoto in my motorhome this weekend and heading on a trip soon. Will have the plug with me, but then I did that with Sure Drains also.

Quote:

No quick valves here either. Drainplugs are too easy to use. Suredrain/Fumoto/... just add another point of failure.

Well said. I have enough to worry about with Mazda's cartridge filter setup.

A drain valve may be the ultimate in convenience, but I find it pretty easy to avoid oily hands by using a long entension to remove the drain bolt.

I'm here on BITOG because I LOVE to change my oil...
I don't know why a person would install a quick change device on their motor, especially one that could (and does) cause the exact thing that we are discussing.
Shorten my oil change experience ??!! When Mama Bear and I feel amorous, I don't want something that will get it done FASTER !! GEEZ !!! same thing applies ??!!
whistle.gif

We seem to be running about 95% anti-drain valve here. But what I'd like to know is, of those who do use drain valves, how many are going to go back to the plug after this thread? I suspect not many.

We still need to hear Fumoto's explanation before we make conclusions.

I installed my second Fumoto tonight. This is a new vehicle to me and when I loosened the oil drain plug, it was hardly more than finger tight. Then I proceeded to fumble the bolt into the drain pan. Yep, I know why I like drain valves.

Installed on my two cars.
Both work very well. No issues to date. Even through Buffalo, NY winters.

Look through the opening of the valve, up towards a light, and cycle it opened and closed. See if you can see what is going on.

Guys:

I will be both checking the now-non-installed valve more closely for detectable problems. I will also be talking with the Fumoto folks, probably early next week. I'm in the midst of moving back from New Orleans to Pensacola and reopening my practice. As alarming as this was/is, I've got other fish frying that just have to be tended to first. Don't worry, more to follow.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back